Friends and Family Census Outreach Instructions
During this time, many of us are checking in with friends and family more frequently. As we make sure our friends and family members are safe and healthy, we can help secure the health of New York City by reminding them to fill out the 2020 Census to help ensure our city’s recovery from this crisis.
Sign-up to join our census friends and family campaign. A representative from NYC Census 2020 will follow-up with you to provide further guidance and support.
Please follow the below instructions to participate in our friends & family census outreach efforts!
- Make a list of your friends and family members who live in New York City.
- You can use a Digital list & tally sheet or printable list & tally sheet to keep track of your friends and family members to call. Or just write the names of numbers of people you will call on a sheet of paper.
- Helpful hint: Go through your phone contacts one letter at a time and add people to your friends and family list as you find them in your phone
- Call each person on your list and remind them to fill out the census
- Make a plan and schedule -- set aside 30 minutes a day to call 5 people
- Use the talking points at the bottom of this page -- and remember always give people the website to fill out the census: www.my2020census.gov or tell them to call 844-330-2020 to complete their census over the phone
- How did your calls go?
Fill out the short form at the bottom of the page to let us know how many people you talked to?
- The more of us who fill out the census, the more money our neighborhoods will get from the government for hospitals, healthcare, schools, and housing over the next 10 years. NYC needs federal funding now more than ever!
- There are no questions about immigration, citizenship or financial information and your responses are 100% confidential.
- Filling out the census is easy and you can do it quickly and safely from home. It’s just 10 questions, and takes less than 10 minutes to fill out online at my2020census.gov or over the phone at 844-330-2020. You don’t even need a code to fill it out-- you can simply enter your address.
- The census is for everybody: every neighborhood, every race, every nationality, every religion. Whether you are a citizen or non-citizen, on the lease or off the lease, if you live in New York City-- you should fill out the census.
How Did Your Calls Go?
Dear Neighbor Letter
Sign up here to send your neighbors a letter encouraging them to fill out the census. We will follow up to provide you with physical copies of the letter and additional guidance.