FAQs by Consumers and Workers

FAQs by Consumers and Workers

1. How can I file a complaint against a business?
If this is a consumer-related complaint, please review the Referral List to see if DCA is the correct agency to file a complaint. If we are, you can file your complaint online, by mail, or by fax. Learn more at File a Consumer Complaint page.

If this is a workplace complaint, please visit our File a Workplace Complaint page

2. How do I find out if a business or individual is licensed by DCA?
Use Search for a DCA Licensee online service.
Note: You will be redirected to a new page. Please scroll to the blue Consumers box. You do NOT need to register an account with the City of New York to use Search for a DCA Licensee.

3. Are there tips/publications for consumers and workers?
Our consumer tips are available by visiting the Get Tips page.

Our educational materials for workplace laws are available by visiting the Worker Rights page.

You can also sign up for our Consumer Updates e-newsletter.

4. Are there any programs to help me get out of debt, build credit, and/or start saving money?
We offer free professional financial counseling at more than 20 Financial Empowerment Centers across the five boroughs. Find a Center near you or call 311 to schedule your appointment today.

5. Do you offer free tax preparation services?
Since 2002, DCA has coordinated the City’s Annual Tax Season Initiative which includes helping New Yorkers save on tax prep fees and file their returns for free using NYC Free Tax Prep. Learn more about NYC Free Tax Prep.

6. What is NYC's Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law?
Under the NYC Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law, employers with five or more employees who work more than 80 hours per calendar year in New York City must provide paid safe and sick leave to employees. Employers with fewer than five employees must provide unpaid safe and sick leave. Accrual of safe and sick leave is at a rate of one hour of leave for every 30 hours worked, up to 40 hours per calendar year, and begins on employees’ first day of employment. Employees can begin using accrued leave 120 days after their first day of work. We offer information on NYC's Paid Safe and Sick Leave law for employees and employers, visit NYC's Paid Safe and Sick Leave law page.