Information for Tobacco Retail Dealers
Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
Local Law 191 of 2017
As of April 14, 2018, it is illegal to sell non-tobacco shisha, herbal cigarettes, rolling papers, and other smoking-related paraphernalia to individuals under 21 years of age in New York City. Download Age Restriction Sign
Inspection Checklist: Tobacco Retail Dealers
Frequently Asked Questions: New Tobacco Laws
October 2017: NYC's New Tobacco Laws Apply to YOU if You...
- Have a pharmacy
- Sell or plan to sell any tobacco products
- Sell electronic cigarettes
Read overview to understand how the new tobacco laws affect your business in:
April 2016: Law/Rules Handout (Cigarette Retail Dealers)
- Under the law, cigarette retailers must post the Age Restriction and NYC/NYS Tax Stamp signs.
- Cigarette retailers cannot make, distribute, or sell K2 (“spice”), bath salts, or any functionally similar substance. Under federal, state, and City laws, selling these substances is illegal and can result in imprisonment, significant fines, and the suspension or revocation of your Cigarette Retail Dealer License.
- A first violation will result in a 30-day mandatory suspension of your license.
- A second violation will result in a mandatory revocation of your license.
Visit nyc.gov/k2 for more information and use Live Chat to request a window cling for your store doors/windows to show that your business is committed to refrain from selling K2.
2014 DCA Training on Local Laws 94 and 97 of 2013
In July 2014, the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) held trainings for businesses to help them understand and comply with the new tobacco laws: Local Law 94 of 2013 (Tobacco 21) and Local Law 97 of 2013 (Sensible Tobacco Enforcement). Read the Frequently Asked Questions from the training
New York State Department of Health