Auction House License Application Checklist
For health and safety reasons, the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment to submit your license application in person. See Application Filing Process section.
Note: As in-person service is limited, we encourage you to use our online service which is available 24/7.
Who Must Have an Auction House License?
Any business that engages in the business of auctioneering must have an Auction House license.
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have an Auction House license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for an Auction House License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCWP can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
- Basic License Application
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
- Copy of your $2,000 Surety Bond, properly signed
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
Additional City or State Permits/Licenses/Clearances You May Need
- If you are an individual who plans to sell merchandise by public auction, you must also obtain an Auctioneer license. Only licensed Auctioneers may act as an Auctioneer at the Auction House.
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCWP does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCWP may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at dos.ny.gov/corps.
DCWP will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Basic License Application.
Online submission: After reviewing the requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Copy of your $2,000 Surety Bond (or Third Party Bond), properly signed
The copy of the bond must name the City of New York as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. You must also submit a copy of the bond receipt showing that the bond has been paid in full and does not expire before the end of the licensing period.
Download a list of bonding companies. Note: The list is not exhaustive, and DCWP does not endorse or recommend any particular bonding company.
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee.
All sole proprietors, general partners, corporate officers, principals, directors, members, and all shareholders owning more than 10% of company stock must schedule an appointment with IdentoGO to be fingerprinted:
- Visit uenroll.identogo.com
- Service Code. Enter 158592
- Agency ID. Enter numbers only from Record ID Number. Record ID Number is on your receipt or confirmation letter when you apply online. (Example: For Record ID Number 12345-2021-AHIC, enter only 123452021 as Agency ID.)
- Follow the instructions and pay the required fee(s).
IMPORTANT: Anyone required to be fingerprinted should schedule an appointment as soon as possible to complete this requirement.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download Affirmation).
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- License Fee.
License Period: 2 years | Expiration Date: June 15, Even years.
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates: ||License Fee Option 1 ||License Fee Option 2
|From June 16 in an even year to December 15 in an even year
||Pay $400 for a license expiring June 15 of the next even year. (Valid for at most 24 months.)
|From December 16 in an even year to June 15 in an odd year
||Pay $300 for a license expiring June 15 of the soonest even year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
|From June 16 in an odd year to December 15 in an odd year
||Pay $200 for a license expiring June 15 of the soonest even year. (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From December 16 in an odd year to June 15 in an even year
||Pay $100 for a license expiring June 15 of the same even year. (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $500 for a license expiring June 15 of the next even year. (Valid for at most 30 months.)
○ Check or money order payable to DCWP. (In person)
○ Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
- Review requirements and gather all materials before clicking the button below. The online service is available using a laptop or desktop computer only.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCWP cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.
File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center
|DCWP LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday, Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS SUPPORT CENTER
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Tuesday, Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
By Email: LicensingAppointments@dca.nyc.gov
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email email@example.com.
Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please email DCWP’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Accommodations page.
Additional Resources for Auction House
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business.
Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.