Electronics Store

Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader.

Who Must Have an Electronics Store License?

A business must have an Electronics Store license if it sells electronic goods, such as:
  • Cell phones
  • Tablets
  • Audio equipment
  • Video equipment
  • Photographic equipment
  • Computers or computer equipment
  • Calculators
A license is NOT required if:
  1. The area used to display electronic goods is less than 20 percent of the total display space, as measured by linear feet and not square feet. OR
  2. Less than 30 electronic goods are on display.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have an Electronics Store license. Refer to the Licensing Law/Rules Handout.

Quick List of Application Requirements

  • Basic License Application
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Certificate of Authority Application Confirmation Number
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
  • License Fee

Additional City or State Permits/Licenses/Clearances You May Need

If you or your business plan to engage in the repair or servicing of electronic equipment and/or home appliances, you must also obtain an Electronic & Home Appliance Service Dealer license.

If you or your business will buy or sell secondhand articles, you must also obtain a Secondhand Dealer General license.

Application Requirements

Before You File Your DCA License Application:

You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
  • Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure 
    • Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
    • General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
    • Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.

When You File Your DCA License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application. If you fail to submit all documents, your application will be denied.
  • Basic License Application
    Reminder: If your business legal structure is sole proprietorship or general or limited partnership, you must complete the Child Support Certification section of the application.

    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.

    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
  • Sales Tax Identification Number OR Certificate of Authority Application Confirmation Number
    The Sales Tax Identification Number is the 9, 10, or 11-digit number on your New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Certificate of Authority. You must enter this number on the Basic License Application form. If you have not received your Certificate of Authority, please enter the 6-digit confirmation number you received when you submitted the application for a Certificate of Authority.

    To apply for a Certificate of Authority, visit the NYS License Center at https://licensecenter.ny.gov. You will need a NY.gov ID to access the application form. To request a paper application, call (518) 485-2889. Allow four to six weeks after applying to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to receive your Certificate of Authority.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be prepared and submitted by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation. Note: The applicant must sign all required documents.
  • License Fee
    The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when you file your license application. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2015. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2016.  

Electronics Store License Fee

  • License Term:2 Years
  • License Expiration Date:December 31, Even years
  • From January 1 in an odd year to June 30 in an odd year $340
  • From July 1 in an odd year to December 31 in an odd year $255
  • From January 1 in an even year to June 30 in an even year $170
  • From July 1 in an even year to December 31 in an even year $85 or *$425

*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.

Fee Payments

The DCA Licensing Center accepts payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card) or check or money order made payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.

If you submit your application online, you must pay with a major credit card.

Note: Credit card payments are subject to a nonrefundable convenience fee. In the event the payment to which it relates is canceled, refunded, credited, or charged back, you must contact your credit card company to dispute the convenience fee.

Application Filing Process


File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Translation Services
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.

Reasonable Accommodation
To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.


  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below. Note: At this time, the service is available using a laptop or desktop computer only.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCA License page to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

Additional Resources for Electronics Stores

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.