Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
A Games of Chance license is required if an entity conducts games of chance in which prizes are awarded on the basis of a designated winning number(s), color(s), or symbol(s), determined by chance. Only organizations raising funds for the promotion of bona fide charitable, educational, scientific, health, religious, and patriotic causes can obtain a Games of Chance license.
These games fall into three general categories:
- Las Vegas Nights (Casino Nights): Las Vegas Nights are casino-type games of chance, including roulette, craps, blackjack, money wheels, bang, and other such games played at carnivals, festivals, or similar events.
- Bell Jars: Bell jars, which include “coin boards,” “merchandise boards,” and “seal cards,” are games in which a participant draws a card from a suitable container, typically a jar or New York State Racing & Wagering Board-approved vending machine containing numbers, colors, or symbols that, when uncovered, may reveal a prize awarded on the basis of a designated winning number, color, or symbol or combination of numbers, colors, or symbols.
- Raffles: Raffles are games in which a participant pays money in return for a ticket or other receipt and a prize is awarded on the basis of a randomly selected winning number(s), color(s), or symbol(s) designated on the ticket or receipt.
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Games of Chance license.
Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application.
- You must get a Games of Chance Identification Number from the New York State Gaming Commission. To apply, complete 1A-Application for Registration and Identification Number, available at http://www.gaming.ny.gov/charitablegaming/
- You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
- Nonprofit organizations must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your organization at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your organization.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- New York State Gaming Commission Application Materials
Submit three (3) signed, completed copies of the following New York State Gaming Commission application materials available for download at http://www.gaming.ny.gov/charitablegaming/
Re: Las Vegas Nights
Raffles (with net proceeds over $30,000 for the calendar year)
You must submit:
- GC-2 Application for Games of Chance License. On this form you must provide information about your nonprofit organization, the type of games to be played, the location of games, and the purpose of games.
- GC-2A Application for Games of Chance License. On this form you must provide information about staff and members.
- GC-2B Application for Games of Chance License. On this form you must provide additional information about the games.
Re: Raffles (with net proceeds under $30,000 for the calendar year)
You must submit a GCVS-1 Verified Statement for Raffle Ticket Operations. On this form you must provide information about your nonprofit organization.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- Proof of Right to Use Premises
Submit ONE of the following documents as proof of right to use premises for your business:
- A copy of your deed or bill of sale OR
- A copy of your current lease. Note: The landowner must have a Commercial Lessor license issued by DCA.
- License and Additional Fees
Fees must be paid by credit card or check made payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. (Exceptions are in italics in the chart.) Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Check must be issued from a bank account that is established solely for games of chance transactions.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Games of Chance Category
|Las Vegas Nights
||$25 per occasion.
Note: There is a limit of 12 occasions per calendar year.
|5% of net proceeds
||$25 for one calendar year
||5% of net proceeds. Make check payable to NYS Racing & Wagering Board.
|Raffle with net proceeds over $30,000 for the calendar year
||$25 for one calendar year
||2% of net proceeds over $30,000
|Raffle with net proceeds under $30,000 for the calendar year
||No license fee required
||o additional fee required
Application Filing Process
You must submit all required documents to the DCA Licensing Center at least two (2) weeks before the event start date.
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Games of Chance
- New York State Gaming Commission forms are available for download at http://www.gaming.ny.gov/charitablegaming/
- Application to Amend Games of Chance License
After you receive your Games of Chance license, you may conduct games of chance activity. However, if you have any changes to the license application, please file GC-6 Application to Amend Games of Chance License at least one (1) week before the event.
- Financial Statements and Additional Fee Payments
- Las Vegas Nights
You must submit GC-7 Financial Statement for Games of Chance Operations, GC-7B Cash Control Summary for Games of Chance, and pay the additional fees outlined on page 3 to DCA within seven (7) days of each Las Vegas Nights occasion. Please submit the documents and payment in person OR by mail to:
Attn: Licensing Center
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
42 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004
- Bell Jar
You must submit GC-7Q Quarterly Statement of Bell Jar Operations, GC-7Q Schedule 1 Bell Jar Deals Sold, and pay the additional fees outlined above to the New York State Racing & Wagering Board within 15 days after the end of each calendar quarter. Address information is provided on the forms.
- Raffle with net proceeds over $30,000 for the calendar year
You must submit GC-7R Financial Statement of Raffle Operations and pay the additional fees outlined above to DCA by January 20 of the year following the conduct of a raffle occasion. Please submit the documents and payment in person OR by mail to the Licensing Center.
- Raffle with net proceeds under $30,000 for the calendar year
You must submit GCVS-2 Verified Statement Raffle Operations to DCA by January 20 of the year following the conduct of a raffle occasion. Please submit the documents in person OR by mail to the Licensing Center.
Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.