Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
Who Must Have a Home Improvement Salesperson License?
You must have a Home Improvement Salesperson license if you negotiate or offer to negotiate a home improvement contract with a property owner.
This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Home Improvement Salesperson license. Refer to the Licensing Law/Rules handout.
Quick List of Application Requirements
Additional City or State Permits/Licenses/Clearances You May Need
- If you engage in the construction, repair, remodeling, or addition to any land or building used as a residence, you must also obtain a Home Improvement Contractor license from DCA.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application. If you fail to submit all documents, your application will be denied.
- Basic Individual License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application Form.
- Photograph of License Applicant
In person: DCA will photograph license applicants at no cost in the Licensing Center. You can also submit a current color passport-size photograph.
Online: License applicants can upload an image file of digital passport photo quality. A digital camera with a resolution of 1 mega-pixel is adequate .
- Home Improvement Exam and Exam Fee
You must visit the DCA Licensing Center between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to take the Home Improvement Exam. The exam consists of 30 questions. You must answer a minimum of 21 questions correctly to pass. The $50 exam fee is separate from the license fee and is nonrefundable. If you fail the exam twice, you must pay the exam fee again in order to retake the exam.
Download the Home Improvement Examination Guide to help you prepare for the exam.
Guide is available in other languages, see top of page.
- You must pass the exam within 30 days from the date you submit your application or your application will be denied.
- An applicant is only required to pass the exam once, even if also applying for a Home Improvement Contractor license.
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee
You must be fingerprinted at the DCA Licensing Center. EXCEPTIONS: Any person who was fingerprinted or provided fingerprints for an active DCA license within the last three years does not need to be fingerprinted. You must visit the DCA Licensing Center and pay a $75 processing fee. Your fingerprints will be checked for any criminal record that you may have. Note that a conviction will not necessarily prevent you from being granted a license. However, failure to reveal a conviction can constitute grounds for the denial of your application.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be prepared and submitted by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation. Note: The applicant must sign all required documents.
- License Fee
The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when you file your license application. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2015. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2016.
|Home Improvement Salesperson License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: February 28, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is:
|From March 1 in an odd year to August 31 in an odd year
|From September 1 in an odd year to February 28 or 29 in an even year
|From March 1 in an even year to August 31 in an even year
|From September 1 in an even year to February 28 in an odd year
||$13 or *$63
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
The DCA Licensing Center accepts payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card) or check or money order made payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.
If you submit your application online, you must pay with a major credit card.
Note: Credit card payments are subject to a nonrefundable 2.49% convenience fee. In the event the payment to which it relates is canceled, refunded, credited, or charged back, you must contact your credit card company to dispute the convenience fee.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below. Note: At this time, the service is available using a laptop or desktop computer only.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCA License page to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Home Improvement Salespersons
- Inspection Checklist: Home Improvement Contractors and Salespersons
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.