Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
You must have a Pedicab Driver license if you drive or propel a pedicab for hire to passengers within the City of New York. Pedicab Driver applicants must be at least 18 years old.
This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Pedicab Driver license.
Additional DCA License You May Need
- If you are a pedicab owner (you own, lease, or otherwise control a pedicab or pedicabs) and operate or authorize the operation of one or more pedicabs for hire to passengers within the City of New York, you must hold a Pedicab Business license.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic Individual License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application Form.
- Photo Identification (ID) of License Applicant
Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
- License or permit issued by a government agency
- Alien card/green card
- City, State, or Federal employee ID card
- Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
License Applicants can be photographed in the DCA Licensing Center at no cost.
Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- License Fee
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.
Please note that a convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Pedicab Driver License Fee
License Term: 1 year
License Expiration Date: April 30
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is:
|From May 1 to November 1
|From November 2 to April 30
||$18 or *$53
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Pedicab Driver
- Pedicab Accident Report
You must submit a written Accident Report of every accident relating to a pedicab within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify the Department of Consumer Affairs immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report.
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.