Pool or Billiard Room

Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader.

License Description

A business must have a Pool or Billiard Room license if it has three or more pool, billiard, or pocket billiard tables for play on the premises. A license is not required if:
  • You are a membership corporation, club, society, or association that owns and occupies the premises in which only members use the pool or billiard room and the room is not the dominant facility or activity of the organization OR
  • You are a religious, charitable, eleemosynary (relating to charity or the giving of alms), or education organization that owns and occupies the premises in which only members use the pool or billiard room.
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Pool or Billiard Room license.

Additional DCA License You May Need

  • If your business has 10 or more amusement devices located on the premises, you must also obtain an Amusement Arcade license.

Application Requirements

Before You File Your DCA License Application:

You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.

  • Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure 
    • Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
    • General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
    • Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.

When You File Your DCA License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application:
  • Basic License Application
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
  • Pool or Billiard Room Table Information (download)
    Applicants for a Pool or Billiard Room license must indicate the number of rooms on the premises and the number of tables in each room.
  • Department of Buildings Documents
    You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), OR Letter of No Objection from DOB confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version and show approval of the premises for “Use Group 8” or “Use Group 12” and designation of “Pool or Billiard Room.”

    In addition, if the premises will be able to accommodate 75 or more persons, you must submit a copy of your Place of Assembly Certificate of Operation issued by DOB. The certificate must be the most current version and indicate the usage for a pool or billiard room. For more information, visit DOB’s Web site
  • Child Support Certification Form (download)
    If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation. 
  • License Fee
    Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2014, 2016, etc.

    Please note that a convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.  
Pool or Billiard Room License Fee
License Term:
2 years
License Expiration Date: August 1, Odd years  
If You File Your Application Between These Dates: Your License Fee (includes one table) is: Each Additional Table
From August 2 in an odd year to February 1 in an even year $340 $40 each
From February 2 in an even year to August 1 in an even year $255 $30 each
From August 2 in an even year to February 1 in an odd year $170 $20 each
From February 2 in an odd year to August 1 in an odd year $85 or *$425 $10 each or *$50 each

*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.

Application Filing Process


File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Translation Services
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.

Reasonable Accommodation
To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.


  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

Additional Resources for Pool or Billiard Room

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.