For health and safety reasons, the DCA Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment to submit your license application in person. See Application Filing Process
As in-person service is limited, we encourage you to use our online service which is available 24/7 at nyc.gov/BusinessToolbox
Scale Dealer/Repairer License Application Checklist
Who Must Have a Scale Dealer/Repairer License?
A person or business must have a Scale Dealer/Repairer license to trade, sell, receive, or repair condemned, rebuilt, or used weighing or measuring devices.
To apply, you must be at least 18 years old.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Scale Dealer/Repairer license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Scale Dealer/Repairer License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCA can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
- Basic License Application
- Certificate of Approval
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCA does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCA may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at www.dos.ny.gov/corps
DCA will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Certificate of Approval
You must visit the DCA Bureau of Weights and Measures Testing Station located at 245 Meserole Avenue in Brooklyn to obtain a Certificate of Approval for your testing equipment (e.g., weight kit). To schedule an inspection:
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- License Fee
License Period: 1 year. Expiration Date: February 28 (February 29 in a leap year)
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||License Fee Option 1
||License Fee Option 2
|From March 1 to August 28
||$60 (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From August 29 to February 28 (February 29 in a leap year)
||$30 (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $90 for license expiring February 28 (February 29 in a leap year) of the next year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
- Check or money order payable to DCA. (In person)
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
File in person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCA Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center.
|DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (DCA) LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Email: LicensingAppointments@dca.nyc.gov By Phone*:
Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email email@example.com
Free Interpretation Services
are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please email DCA's Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit our Accommodations page
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Scale Dealer/Repairer
- For the laws and rules that may affect your business, visit our Laws page.
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business.
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.Page updated 10/2020.