Scrap Metal Processor License Application Checklist
Who Must Have a Scrap Metal Processor License?
A person or business must have a Scrap Metal Processor license if operating or maintaining a business engaged primarily in the purchase, processing, and shipment of ferrous and/or non-ferrous scrap.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Scrap Metal Processor license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Scrap Metal Processor License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCA can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
- Basic License Application
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCA does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCA may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at www.dos.ny.gov/corps
DCA will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit www.businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms
- License Fee. License Period: 1 year; Expiration Date: June 30. See table for License Fee options.
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates: ||License Fee Option 1 ||License Fee Option 2
|From July 1 to December 31
||Pay $75 for a license expiring June 30. (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From January 1 to June 30
||Pay $38 for a license expiring June 30 of the same year. (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $113 for a license expiring June 30 of the next year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
- Check or money order payable to DCA. (In person)
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
File in person File in person
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center.
Free Interpretation Services
|DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (DCA) LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please call DCA’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at (212) 436-0199 or visit our Accommodations page
- Review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below to submit your application online using a laptop or desktop computer.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCA License page to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Scrap Metal Processor
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/Business.
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.