Special Sale

Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader.

License Description

If you advertise that you are having a sale or offer to sell to the public merchandise in connection with a declared purpose (e.g., Fire, Smoke, or Water Damage; Going Out of Business; Liquidation; Loss of Lease; Renovation), you must have a Special Sale license. The sale must be conducted at the location that is being closed.

This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Special Sale license.

Application Requirements

Before You File Your DCA License Application:

You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
  • Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure 
    • Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
    • General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
    • Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
    • Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.

When You File Your DCA License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application:
  • Basic License Application
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
  • Proof of Right to Use Premises
    Submit ONE of the following documents as proof of right to use premises:
    • A copy of your deed or bill of sale OR
    • A copy of your current lease

    Note: Proof must reflect your legal business name.
  • Special Sale Inventory (download)
    Complete the form. If you have merchandise on order which you have not received by the date you submit the form, you must add an “on order” note in the Purchase Date column for that merchandise. For each “on order” entry, you must submit a letter from the supplier indicating that the order is “non-cancellable.”
  • Affirmation for Conducting a Special Sale (download)
  • Special Sales Questionnaire (download)
  • Proof of Special Sale Type
    Submit ONE of the following documents as proof of special sale type.
    • For sales resulting from any type of damage (i.e., fire, smoke, water, etc.), submit a statement from the insurance company or adjuster containing the following:
      • The total monetary value of all stock on hand at the time of the accident
      • The total monetary value of the damaged stock
      • The amount of settlement covering the merchandise portion of the loss, and a general release of merchandise to be sold
    • For alteration sales, submit a bona fide copy of your contract from the construction company showing the date the alteration is to commence, the nature and extent of alterations to be made, and the cost of all work covered by the contract. Note that letters to/from the contractor will not be accepted in lieu of a bona fide contract.
    • For going-out-of-business and reorganization sales, submit a copy of your Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Court papers.
  • Child Support Certification Form (download)
    If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation. 
  • Special Sale License Fee of $50 for 30 days
    Fees must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.

    Please note that a convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.

After You File Your DCA License Application:

Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:

  • Special Sale License Renewal
    Special Sale licenses are valid for 30 days. If you would like to renew your Special Sale license, submit the Basic License Application, supporting documents (as outlined in the “When You File” section), and pay the renewal fee outlined below at least one week prior to the expiration date of your current license.

    Renewal Fees:
    You can renew the Going Out of Business Special Sale license TWO consecutive times. Each license is $50 for 30 days.
    You can renew all other Special Sale licenses ONCE. The license is $50 for 30 days.
    Please submit application requirements and the fee in person OR by mail to:

    Attn: Licensing Center
    New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
    42 Broadway
    New York, NY 10004

Application Filing Process


File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Translation Services
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.

Reasonable Accommodation
To request a disability-related accommodation, visit our Accommodations page.


  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

Additional Resources for Special Sale

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.