For health and safety reasons, the DCA Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment to submit your license application in person. See Application Filing Process
As in-person service is limited, we encourage you to use our online service which is available 24/7 at nyc.gov/BusinessToolbox
Special Sale License Application Checklist
If you advertise that you are having a sale or offer to sell to the public merchandise in connection with a declared purpose (e.g., Fire, Smoke, or Water Damage; Going Out of Business; Liquidation; Loss of Lease; Renovation), you must have a Special Sale license. The sale must be conducted at the location that is being closed. liquidated, renovated, etc.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Special Sale license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Special Sale License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCA can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
- Basic License Application
- Proof of Right to Use Premises
- Special Sale Inventory
- Affirmation for Conducting Special Sale
- Special Sale Questionnaire
- Proof of Special Sale Type
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCA does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCA may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at www.dos.ny.gov/corps
DCA will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Special Sale Inventory (download)
Complete DCA's form.
Note: DCA can only accept inventory printouts if printouts include all required information found on the form.
- Affirmation for Conducting a Special Sale (download)
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- Special Sale License Fee of $50 for 30 days
- Check or money order payable to DCA. (In person)
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCA Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center.
|DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (DCA) LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Email: LicensingAppointments@dca.nyc.gov By Phone*:
Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email email@example.com
Free Interpretation Services
are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please email DCA's Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit our Accommodations page
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Businesses Having Special Sale
- License Renewal.
Special Sale licenses are valid for 30 days. If you would like to renew your Special Sale license, you must do the following at least one week before the expiration date of your current license:
- Submit the Basic License Application and other required documents (see Requirements).
- Pay the relevant Special Sale license fee:
- Going Out of Business: Each license is $50 for 30 days. You can renew the Going Out of Business Special Sale license TWO consecutive times.
- All other Special Sale licenses: The license is $50 for 30 days. You can renew all other Special Sale licenses ONCE.
- For more laws and rules that may affect your business, visit our Visit our Laws page.
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business.
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.