Storage Warehouse (Premises) License Application Checklist
Who Must Have a Storage Warehouse License?
A person or business must have a Storage Warehouse license to store consumers’ household goods for a fee.
You must have a separate Storage Warehouse license for each premises where you or your business store consumer household goods.
You do not need this license for a self-storage business.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Storage Warehouse license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Storage Warehouse License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCA can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
- Basic License Application
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
- Rate Schedule
- Copy of your $10,000 Surety Bond, properly signed
- Department of Buildings Document
- Samples of Business Contracts
- Liability Insurance for Consumer Property
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure. Although DCA does not require submission of your Business Certificate in order to process your application, DCA may request this document under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at www.dos.ny.gov/corps
DCA will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit www.businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Rate Schedule.
Submit a Rate Schedule on your business letterhead listing all charges for the storage and handling of property. Note that rates not included on the schedule may not be charged at a future date. To change rates after filing this application, you must notify DCA in writing.
- Copy of your $10,000 Surety Bond, properly signed.
The copy of the bond must name the City of New York as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. The bond must not expire before the end of the licensing period.
Download a list of bonding companies. Note: The list is not exhaustive, and DCA does not endorse or recommend any particular bonding company.
- Department of Buildings Document.
You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), OR Letter of No Objection from the Department of Buildings (DOB) confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version and show approval of the premises for “Use Group 16” or “Storage Warehouse.”
- Samples of Business Contracts.
Submit samples of all contracts that will be used by your business. Each of these contracts must include the following statements:
- The warehouse operator provides, without cost to the consumer, legal liability coverage for loss or damage to the consumer’s property caused by negligence, at the minimum value of $ 0.30 per pound per item up to $2,000. AND
- The consumer may purchase through the storage warehouse operator additional liability coverage to cover either specific items or all of the household goods at additional cost.
- Liability Insurance for Consumer Property.
You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate providing consumers with protection against loss or damage due to negligence. Your Insurance Certificate must name the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) as the Certificate Holder. Legal liability coverage is to be provided at the minimum value of $0.30 per pound per item up to $2,000. Please note that the insurance policy must meet all requirements of the Storage Warehouse Law, Section 20-480 and regulations (6 RCNY 2-329).
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable.
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application. Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- License Fee.
License Period: 2 years. Expiration Date: April 1, Odd Years. License Fee (first warehouse): $590 for 2 years. License Fee (each Additional Warehouse): $300 for 2 years.
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates: ||Option 1 ||Option 2
|From April 2 in an odd year to September 30 in an odd year
||Pay $590 + $300 per additional warehouse for a license expiring April 1 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 24 months.)
|From October 1 in an odd year to April 1 in an even year
||Pay $443 + $225 per additional warehouse for a license expiring April 1 of the following year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
|From April 2 in an even year to September 30 in an even year
||Pay $295 + $150 per additional warehouse for a license expiring April 1 of the soonest odd year. (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From October 1 in an even year to April 1 in an odd year
||Pay $148 + $75 per additional warehouse for a license expiring April 1 of the same odd year. (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $738 + $375 per additional warehouse for a license expiring April 1 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 30 months.)
- Check or money order payable to DCA. (In person)
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
File in person
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center.
Free Interpretation Services
|DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (DCA) LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please call DCA’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at (212) 436-0199 or visit our Accommodations page
- Review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below to submit your application online using a laptop or desktop computer.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCA License page to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Storage Warehouses
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.