Note: Some documents on this page are in PDF format, download the free Adobe Reader
A person or business must have a Storage Warehouse license if storing consumers’ goods for compensation. The self-storage industry is exempt.
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Storage Warehouse license.
Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
- Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure
- Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
- General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
- Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic License Application
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Certificate of Authority Application Confirmation Number
The Sales Tax Identification Number is the 9, 10, or 11-digit number on your New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Certificate of Authority. You must enter this number on the Basic License Application form. If you have not received your Certificate of Authority, please enter the 6-digit confirmation number you received when you successfully submitted the application for a Certificate of Authority.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority, visit the NYS License Center. You will need a NY.gov ID to access the application form. To request a paper application, call (518) 485-2889. Allow four to six weeks after applying to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to receive your Certificate of Authority.
- Rate Schedule
Submit a Rate Schedule on your business letterhead listing all charges for the storage and handling of property. Note that rates not included on the schedule may not be charged at a future date. To change rates after filing this application, you must notify the Department of Consumer Affairs in writing.
- Copy of your $10,000 Surety Bond (or Third Party Bond), properly signed
The copy of the bond must name the Department of Consumer Affairs as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. You must also submit a copy of the bond receipt showing that the bond has been paid in full and does not expire before the end of the licensing period.
Download a list of bonding companies
The companies listed have provided bonds for licensees, or have communicated to the Department of Consumer Affairs an interest in doing so. The list must not be considered a recommendation of any company, or a complete listing. All applicants are advised to investigate and compare these and other bonding companies. Some companies may provide only certain types of bonds. Companies are listed in alphabetical order.
- Department of Buildings Document
You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), OR Letter of No Objection from the Department of Buildings (DOB) confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version and show approval of the premises for “Use Group 16” or “Storage Warehouse.”
- Samples of Business Contracts
Submit samples of all contracts that will be used by your business. Each of these contracts must include the following statements:
- The warehouse operator provides, without cost to the consumer, legal liability coverage for loss or damage to the consumer’s property caused by negligence, at the minimum value of $ 0.30 per pound per item up to $2,000. AND
- The consumer may purchase through the storage warehouse operator additional liability coverage to cover either specific items or all of the household goods at additional cost.
- Liability Insurance for Consumer Property
You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate providing consumers with protection against loss or damage due to negligence. Your Insurance Certificate must name the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) as the certificate holder. Legal liability coverage is to be provided at the minimum value of $0.30 per pound per item up to $2,000. Please note that the insurance policy must meet all requirements of the Storage Warehouse Law, Section 20-480 (B32-536) and regulations.
Note: You must notify DCA within 14 days if your insurance policy is cancelled, expired, or was terminated for any reason. Notification must be in writing and submitted in person OR by mail to:
Attn: Licensing Center
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
New York, NY 10004
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- License Fee
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2014, 2016, etc.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|Storage Warehouse License Fee
License Term: 2 years
License Expiration Date: April 1, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee (for the 1st warehouse) is:
||Your License Fee (for each additional warehouse) is:
|From April 2 in an odd year to September 30 in an odd year
|From October 1 in an odd year to April 1 in an even year
|From April 2 in an even year to September 30 in an even year
|From October 1 in an even year to April 1 in an odd year
||$148 or *$738
||$75 or *$375
*If you are applying within six months of the license expiration date, you can pay the prorated fee for the remaining license term plus the full fee to renew the license for the next term. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
Application Filing Process
File in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you do not speak or understand English well, please let us know when you arrive at the Licensing Center and we will provide translation services.
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
Additional Resources for Storage Warehouse
Get Voter InformationNote: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.