Tow Truck Driver License Application Checklist
For health and safety reasons, the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment to submit your license application in person. See Application Filing Process section.
Note: As in-person service is limited, we encourage you to use our online service which is available 24/7.
Who Must Have a Tow Truck Driver License?
You must have a Tow Truck Driver license if you move or remove disabled, illegally parked, or abandoned motor vehicles or vehicles involved in accidents by another motor vehicle for direct or indirect compensation in the City of New York.
To apply, you must be at least 18 years old.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Tow Truck Driver license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Tow Truck Driver License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCWP can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
- Basic Individual License Application
- Current Driver’s License
- Certified Proof of Valid Driver’s License (if applicable)
- One Current Color Passport-size Photograph of License Applicant
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
Additional City or State Permits/Licenses/Clearances You May Need
You must have a DCWP Tow Truck Company license if your business moves or removes disabled, illegally parked, or abandoned motor vehicles or vehicles involved in accidents by another motor vehicle for direct or indirect compensation.
DCWP will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Current Driver’s License.
You must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid New York State driver’s license with the appropriate “W” endorsement (Tow Truck Operator endorsement).
If you are a resident of another state and do not hold a New York State driver’s license:
You must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid and current out-of-state driver’s license that is equivalent to a driver’s license that allows someone to drive a tow truck in New York State.
For information on New York State requirements for a valid driver’s license, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles online at dmv.ny.gov
Note: If you become a resident of New York State, State law requires that you get a New York State driver’s license within 30 days of becoming a New York State resident.
- Certified Proof of Valid Driver’s License (if applicable).
If you are not a resident of New York State and possess a valid driver’s license from another state, you must submit a Certified Abstract of your driving record issued within the last 30 days from the State Department of Motor Vehicles that issued your license that demonstrates the license is valid and in full force and effect.
Note: You may be required periodically to submit abstracts or other proof to demonstrate that your license remains valid and in full force and effect.
- One Current Color Passport-size Photograph of License Applicant.
In Person: DCWP will photograph license applicants at no cost in the DCWP Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center. Applicants can also submit a current color passport-size photograph.
Online: License applicants can upload an image file of digital passport-photo quality. A digital camera with a resolution of 1 mega-pixel is adequate.
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee.
Tow Truck Driver applicants must schedule an appointment with IdentoGO to be fingerprinted:
- Visit uenroll.identogo.com
- Service Code. Enter 1585N7
- Agency ID. Enter numbers only from Record ID Number. Record ID Number is on your receipt or confirmation letter when you apply online. (Example: For Record ID Number 12345-2021-AHIC, enter only 123452021 as Agency ID.)
- Follow the instructions and pay the required fee(s).
IMPORTANT: Anyone required to be fingerprinted should schedule an appointment as soon as possible to complete this requirement.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download Affirmation).
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- License Fee.
License Period: 2 years | Expiration Date: October 31, Even Years.
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates: ||License Fee Option 1 ||License Fee Option 2
|From November 1 in an even year to April 30 in an odd year
||Pay $20 for a license expiring October 31 of the next even year. (Valid for at most 24 months.)
|From May 1 in an odd year to October 31 in an odd year
||Pay $15 for a license expiring October 31 of the soonest even year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
|From November 1 in an odd year to April 30 in an even year
||Pay $10 for a license expiring October 31 of the soonest or same even year. (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From May 1 in an even year to October 31 in an even year
||Pay $5 for a license expiring October 31 of the same even year. (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $25 for a license expiring October 31 of the following even year. (Valid for at most 30 months.)
○ Check or money order payable to DCWP. (In person)
○ Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only). You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or Online)
Application Filing Process
- Review requirements and gather all materials before clicking the button below. The online service is available using a laptop or desktop computer only.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCWP cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.
File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center
|DCWP LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS SUPPORT CENTER
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Tuesday, Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
By Email: LicensingAppointments@dca.nyc.gov
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please email DCWP’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at email@example.com or visit our Accommodations page.
Additional Resources for Tow Truck Driver
- Change of Address
You must notify DCWP in writing of changes to your residence within 10 days of the change.
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business.
Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.