*Important Updates Due to COVID-19*

August 3, 2020: In-Person Licensing and Collections Services Available By Appointment Only. DCWP is accepting in-person visits from customers with appointments only at our Manhattan and Queens locations. You must schedule an appointment to meet with a DCWP representative. For health and safety reasons, DCWP cannot serve walk-ins. View flyer to learn how to schedule an appointment in English | Español (Spanish) | العربية (Arabic) | বাংলা (Bengali) | 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified) | 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional) | Français (French) | Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole) | 한국어 (Korean) | Język Polski (Polish) | Русский (Russian) | ردو (Urdu)

June 18, 2020: Per the Mayor’s Executive Order, certain laws and rules relating to sidewalk cafés have been suspended to administer the Open Restaurants Program. Restaurants must seek permission through this program to place outdoor seating in front of their establishment on the sidewalk, including restaurants that have been licensed for unenclosed sidewalk cafés and small sidewalk cafés. Learn more at

Get DCWP Alerts and Information During COVID-19 Crisis, including DCWP services online, certain extensions for license expiration dates and renewal application deadlines, workplace laws, price gouging, and scams and safety tips.

New Rules for Debt Collectors Regarding Language Access

Local Law 31 of 2020

Local Law 31 of 2020 repeals the licensing requirement for Home Improvement Salespersons. As of August 9, 2020, the Department of Consumer Affairs will no longer license Home Improvement Salespersons and will no longer accept new or renewal applications.

Beginning August 9, 2020, new and renewing Home Improvement Contractor license applicants must submit proof that they are certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) relating to safe lead practices and/or affirm that certification is not required based on the type of work the business performs.

Applicants must submit:
  • Copies of EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) certification AND EPA Lead-Based Paint Activities certification (also known as Lead Abatement certification), OR
  • Copy of either EPA RRP certification or Lead Abatement certification AND a signed Affirmation indicating that the other EPA certification is not required, OR
  • Signed Affirmation that both EPA certifications are not required for any home improvement work performed by the applicant.
For information about EPA certifications, visit

Licensing Services

We license more than 75,000 businesses in more than 50 industries. You can access many of our licensing services online including:

Read Online Services - FAQs

Prefer to visit us in person? See our locations.

Get Important Information for:

Reducing Fines for Small Businesses

Additional Quick Links for Businesses:

Pay fines and fees

Cure DCA violation

Learn about 10 Things Every Business Should Know Available in English, Español (Spanish), 中文 (Chinese), Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole), 한국어 (Korean), and Русский (Russian)

Read additional tips for businesses

Do you have employees?
Learn about your employer responsibilities on workplace laws.

View our Event Calendar for upcoming Open Houses when small businesses can come to DCA for trainings

Need to have your scales inspected?
Submit a request for a scale inspection online or call 311.

Let us set you up for financial success!
NYC Financial Empowerment Centers offer free financial counseling to help you manage your money well at home and keep your personal and business finances separate.

New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, State, and City laws and rules. Visit our Laws webpage.

Find more information about opening or operating a business in New York City at