File Your Taxes with NYC Free Tax Prep
Email and Text Message Alerts
Tax Day was April 18, 2018. However, you can still file your 2017 tax return for free at an NYC Free Tax Prep site or online through October 17, if you meet income requirements. If you owe the government money, be aware that late filing penalties apply.
To use this service, you must earn $66,000 or less in 2017, have a valid email address, and know your 2016 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Self-Select PIN.
- The online service is quick, easy, and secure.
- Step-by-step instructions help you claim deductions and credits like the EITC and NYC CCTC.
- Experts are available by phone to answer questions.
File at an NYC Free Tax Prep Site
For most sites, income of $54,000 or less in 2017.
- There are NYC Free Tax Prep sites in all five boroughs.
- IRS certified VITA/TCE volunteer preparers help you claim deductions and credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and NYC Child Care Tax Credit (NYC CCTC).
- Some sites let you drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later.
- Some sites can even help if you:
- You have rights when using a tax preparer. Learn more
- The IRS provides tax filers with many helpful resources. Learn more
- Did you use an NYC Free Tax Prep site to file your taxes? Let us know on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using the hashtag #FreeTaxPrep
- Get the most out of your refund! After you file your taxes, make an appointment for free financial counseling to learn how to get the most out of your refund. NYC Financial Empowerment Centers are in all 5 boroughs. Friendly, professional counselors will help you make a plan to manage your refund, create a budget, or reduce debt.