What Consumers Need to Know:
Long hours and toxic chemicals make nail salon work difficult. Customers can follow the tips below to help make salons better places for everyone.
- Ask your salon to carry non-toxic products. These are better for you and the nail technician.
- Don’t be offended when technicians wear gloves or masks—in fact, you should encourage them! Technicians wear safety gear to prevent sickness, not because of it.
- Ask your technician to keep bottles closed when not in use. This will minimize exposure to chemicals.
- Ask the salon to turn on fans or their ventilation system.
- Remember, patience and politeness go a long way in creating a respectful work environment.
- Tip in cash when possible and give your tip directly to your technician.
Additional Information for Consumers
In May 2015, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced a multi-pronged effort to reform the nail salon industry in New York State. This reform aims to correct and prevent unlawful practices and unsafe working conditions. Learn more by visiting ny.gov