What Salon Employees Need to Know:
- The New York State Department of Labor enforces labor laws in the State, including the payment of the minimum wage.
- You have the right to earn a minimum wage. Visit Minimum Wage webpage for current rate schedules.
- For more information, go to www.labor.ny.gov or call 1-888-469-7365. You can receive assistance in many languages.
- Under federal law, you have the right to be protected by your employer from hazardous workplace conditions.
- OSHA is the federal agency whose mission is to protect workers from unsafe and unhealthy workplaces. For information on protections for nail salon workers visit www.osha.gov or call 1-800-321-6742.
- The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs enforces New York City’s Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law.
- If you work in New York City for more than 80 hours a year at a business, you can earn up to 40 hours of sick leave each year to care for yourself, your child, or other family members, regardless of your immigration status.
- You have a right to use this sick time. If your employer is denying you access to sick leave or retaliating against you for requesting or using leave, call 311. You can receive assistance in many languages.
- New York City’s Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law covers most employees, including those who are undocumented.
Additional Information for Nail Salon Workers
In May 2015, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced a multi-pronged effort to reform the nail salon industry in New York State. This reform aims to correct and prevent unlawful practices and unsafe working conditions. Learn more by visiting ny.gov