EmpoweredNYC: First Local Program of Empowered Cities
Do you or someone in your family have a disability?
Do you have questions about how working could affect your benefits?
Do you worry about money or find it difficult to manage your benefits and services while paying bills and saving money?
EmpoweredNYC is an initiative to assist you to better manage your finances and become more financially stable.
During June and July 2018, the EmpoweredNYC team hosted Community Input Sessions
to gain insight into the barriers that have made it difficult for New Yorkers with disaiblities to grow financially. We also gathered feedback from the community on the types of programs and services that would be most beneficial to New Yorkers with disabilities and their families. These sessions informed EmpoweredNYC on new strategies, programs and services aimed to improve the financial stability of New Yorkers with disabilities and their families.Complete our contact form to stay up to date on EmpoweredNYC
Note: You can also use the contact form
to make general inquiries about free financial counseling services for people with disabilities.
Empowered to Act! Micro-Trainings
Empowered to Act! Micro-Trainings are free trainings that focus on common topics that impact people with disabilities, see list below. Check back often as we'll be adding new topics soon!
Are you a service provider?
Below are the webinar topics EmpoweredNYC has hosted. View the video, slides, and transcripts for them at EmpoweredNYC Webinars
- Student Earned Income Exclusion and Plan for Achieving Self-Support (PASS) – July 9, 2019
- Financial Counseling - Tales from the Field – June 11, 2019
- Work Incentives in Action! – May 14, 2019
- Housing as a Key Stepping Stone to Financial Stability for People with Disabilities – April 23, 2019
- Integrating Financial Capability Strategies into Your Disability Programs – March 12, 2019
- Building and Improving Your Credit Score: The Importance for People with Disabilities Seeking Employment – February 12, 2019
- How to Prepare for Tax Time – January 15, 2019
- The Power of Tracking Expenses – December 21, 2018
- What You Need to Know About Medicaid for the Disabled, Aged and Blind – November 13, 2018
- Empowered Cities: Defining Financial Inclusion – October 23, 2018
- NY ABLE: Financial Empowerment and ABLE Accounts – October 9, 2018
- Overview of SSI: Benefits and Work Supports – September 11, 2018
- Overview of SSDI: Benefits and Work Supports – August 14, 2018
- Money and Benefits: Why Financial Empowerment Is Critical to Work – July 10, 2018
- What Is EmpoweredNYC and Why Is Financial Empowerment Important to Persons with Disabilities – June 12, 2018
EmpoweredNYC Working Group Members
DCA Office of Financial Empowerment
NYC Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities
National Disability Institute
Citi Community Development
Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City
Poses Family Foundation
About Empowered Cities
Empowered Cities is a new national initiative that will enable municipalities to expand financial empowerment and economic inclusion for people with disabilities and their families. Co-developed and launched with a $2 million investment from Citi Community Development (CCD), Empowered Cities is a partnership with National Disability Institute (NDI) that will engage municipalities across the U.S. to design, test and deliver innovative and scalable solutions for expanding financial inclusion in the disability community.
Through Empowered Cities, NDI will:
- hold national gatherings with community stakeholders
- conduct trainings for service providers, financial counselors, nonprofits, and municipal staff
- produce a catalog of new publications and training curricula
- build national field knowledge about tailored, citywide financial inclusion models