The Public Service Corps offers two types of internships to graduate and undergraduate students: Work-Study internships and Academic Credit internships.
Public Service Corps Work-Study students receive an hourly wage. The hourly rates are as follows:
From freshman through completion of sophomore year $13.50/$14.35
From junior through completion of senior year $13.75/$15.30
First year graduate level* $14.00/$16.30
Second year graduate level and above $14.00/$17.90
(*Graduate students include those in professional schools such as law, medicine, and dentistry.)
Interns may work full-time during the summer and during school breaks (40 hours per week) and part-time during the academic year (20 hours per week). Note: Each participating school contributes (through Federal Work-Study funds) 75% of the interns' salary and the hiring agency provides the remaining 25%.
Academic Credit Internships are available to students seeking work-related experience in their area of study. The program operates year-round, offering a limited number of credit-bearing positions in City government. If you wish to claim credit for the internship, you must have prior approval from your faculty advisor. Public Service Corps staff will assist you in completing the required paperwork. Participating students are expected to abide by all the regulations covering Public Service Corps interns receiving stipends. The minimum time commitment is 10 hours per week. However, most agencies prefer at least 15-20 hours per week during the academic year. All credit bearing internships must be pre-approved by the student's academic department and must be supported with appropriate documentation of matriculation and registration. Applications are available only through the PSC office.