The Home Water Assistance Program (HWAP) is an initiative to make water and sewer bills more affordable for low-income homeowners. DEP partnered with the NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) and the NYC Department of Finance (DOF) to select over 50,000 qualified one- to four- family homeowners who received the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Regular Heating Benefit for the 2019-2020 heating season, a Senior Citizens Homeowners Exemption (SCHE), or a Disabled Homeowners Exemption (DHE) or an Enhanced School Tax Relief (STAR) benefit in Tax Year 2019.
HWAP Eligibility Criteria
New York City Homeowners are eligible if their property is a one, two, three or four family home AND:
- They received a Home Energy Assistance Program Regular Heating Benefit for the 2019-2020 heating season OR
- Had an approved Senior Citizen Homeowners Exemption from the NYC Department of Finance as of March 2020 OR
- Had an approved Disabled Homeowners Exemption from the NYC Department of Finance as of March 2020 OR
- Had an approved Enhanced School Tax Relief benefit as of March 2020 from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance and an income of less than $50,000 in Tax Year 2019
You do not have to enroll in the Home Water Assistance Program. Eligible customers will automatically receive a credit on their water and sewer account.
A credit for $115.89 will appear on the first DEP bill you receive after the credit is applied. The transaction will be labeled “NYC Home Water Assistance Credit.”
More HWAP Information
Visit Customer Service to learn how you can reach out to a customer service representative.
More Information About Partner Programs at other NYC Agencies
- HEAP is a federally funded program to assist homeowners with various utility costs. In NYC, it’s administered by the Human Resources Administration (HRA). For more information, visit HRA.
- SCHE and DHE are property tax exemptions administered by the NYC Department of Finance (DOF). To learn more about SCHE, visit SCHE. To learn more about DHE, visit DHE.
- Enhanced STAR is a property tax exemption administered by the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance. To learn more about Enhanced STAR, visit STAR.