The Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) is designed to provide low-income seniors with access to locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Those who are eligible are provided coupons to redeem fresh fruits and vegetables at participating farmers’ markets and farm stands. The program’s purpose is to promote improved nutrition through increased consumption of locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables and expand sales at famers’ markets and farm stands.
How to Apply
- To participate, sign-up at the local senior center or congregate meal site
- Seniors who meet the following eligibility requirements can apply for coupon booklets:
- Are 60 years of age or older; and earning either
- $1,986/month (for a one-person household); or
- $2,686/month (for a two-person household); or
- $3,386/month (for a three-person household).
If an older adult meets both the age and income eligibility, he/she may do one of the following:
- Contact 311 for the older adult center (formerly known as senior center) closest to their home
- Go online to 311 and search for an older adult center or congregate meal site
- Visit www.nyc.gov/aging for a list of distribution sites
Additional Program Information
- SFMNP coupon booklets are distributed on a first come first served basis
- Coupons cannot be used after November 30, 2021.
- Each participant will receive one coupon booklet with 5 coupons worth $4 each. Farmers are not permitted to give change for purchases less than $4.
- Upon receipt, coupon booklet may be redeemed at any time at participating farmer market/stand.
- Fruits and vegetables grown locally and sold at participating Farmer’s Markets may only be purchased. Plants, citrus and tropical fruits are not permitted for purchase with SFMNP coupon booklets. Fresh cut herbs may be purchased, but only if they will be used for cooking or flavoring. Processed food may not be purchased with SFMNP checks. Jack-o-lanterns and similar products also may not be purchased, per program rules.
- A proxy or power of attorney may go to markets to make the purchase for eligible older adults.
- Social distancing should be practiced and masks should be worn at all times at markets and stands.
- Coupons cannot be used to purchase food online.