The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) provides for the care, custody, and control of persons accused of crimes or convicted and sentenced to one year or less of jail time.
The Department manages 11 inmate facilities, 8 of which are located on Rikers Island. In addition, the Department operates two hospital Prison Wards (Bellevue and Elmhurst hospitals) and court holding facilities in each borough.
During Fiscal Year 2018, the Department handled over 49,000 admissions and managed an average daily inmate population of approximately 8,900 individuals.
Benjamin Ward Visit Center
The Riker's Island Benjamin Ward Visit Center serves 10 separate jail facilities on Riker's Island. All visitors must coordinate their visits through the Benjamin Ward Visit Center. The Visit Center is located at 18-31 ("Eighteen Thirty-one") Hazen St. East Elmhurst, NY 11370.
Robert N. Davoren Center (RNDC)
Opened in 1972, the facility houses - in separate quarters - adolescent male detainees (ages 16-17) and adult male detainees in modular dormitories, sprung structures and cells. The jail was formally dedicated the Robert N. Davoren Center in May 2006 in honor of the former Chief of Department.
George Motchan Detention Center (GMDC)
Originally opened in 1971 as the Correctional Institution for Women, the jail became a male detention center with the 1988 opening of the Rose M. Singer Center for women and was renamed in memory of a 17-year veteran Correction Officer fatally shot in the line of duty. This structure is no longer used to house inmates.
Eric M. Taylor Center (EMTC)
Built in 1964 and expanded in 1973, EMTC houses adolescent and adult male inmates sentenced to terms of one year or less. Most of its housing is dormitory style. Able-bodied sentenced inmates are required to work and provide Rikers Island with its grounds crews, facility maintenance and industrial labor force. The facility, previously designated the Correctional Institution for Men, was renamed on July 14, 2000, in honor of retired Chief of Department Eric M. Taylor.
Anna M. Kross Center (AMKC)
Completed in 1978, and named for the DOC's second female commissioner, AMKC houses male detainees in 40 housing areas spread over 40 acres. It includes a Methadone Detoxification Unit for detainees and DOC's Mental Health Center established in 1962.
Rose M. Singer Center (RMSC)
Opened in June 1988 as an 800-bed facility for female detainees and sentenced inmates. Subsequent additional modular housing has increased capacity to its present level. In 1985, the Department opened the nation's first jail-based baby nursery at the old Correctional Institution for Women. The new jail features an expanded 25-bed baby nursery. It was named for an original member of the New York City Board of Correction set up by Mayor Robert F. Wagner in 1957. The board is the Department's oversight agency.
Otis Bantum Correctional Center (OBCC)
Opened in June 1985, it was completed in less than 15 months using modern design and construction methods. OBCC has dormitory and cell housing and includes the Department's 400-bed Central Punitive Segregation Unit. The jail was named for its second warden who was in command at the time of his death.
North Infirmary Command (NIC)
Consists of two separate buildings one of them the original Rikers Island Hospital built in 1932. It houses inmates who have acute medical conditions and require infirmary care, or have a disability that requires housing that is compliant with American with Disabilities Act. NIC also houses general population inmates and inmates with high-profile cases who require protective custody.
George R. Vierno Center (GRVC)
Opened in 1991 as an 850-bed facility for detainees, the facility was named after a deceased retired Chief of Department and Acting Commissioner. A 500-bed addition opened at GRVC in 1993.
James A. Thomas Center (JATC)
Formerly the House of Detention for Men, this 1,200-bed, all-cell jail was renamed in honor of the Department's first African-American warden. Built in the early 1930s as Rikers Island's first permanent jail, the landmark structure is no longer used to house inmates.
West Facility - Contagious Disease Unit (WF)
Opened in the fall of 1991, WF was designed to be a 940-bed facility constructed of ‘Sprungs’ - rigid aluminum framed structures covered by a heavy-duty plastic fabric. The facility includes single-cell units, some of which make up the Department's Communicable Disease Unit (CDU). Other cells house inmates separate and apart from the CDU.
Brooklyn Detention Complex (BKDC)
Built on Atlantic Avenue in 1957, the single-cell jail can house 815 adult males, most undergoing the intake process or awaiting trial in Kings County (Brooklyn) and Richmond County (Staten Island) courts.
Manhattan Detention Complex (MDC)
This lower Manhattan command consists of two buildings designated the North and South Towers, connected by a bridge. The North Tower was opened in 1990. The South Tower, formerly the Manhattan House of Detention, or the "Tombs," was opened in 1983, after a complete remodeling. The complex houses male detainees, most of them undergoing the intake process or facing trial in New York County (Manhattan).
Vernon C. Bain Center (VCBC)
A five-story jail barge built in New Orleans to DOC specifications, the facility houses medium to maximum security inmates in 16 dormitories and 100 cells. Opened in the Fall of 1992, it is named for a well-liked warden who died in a car accident. It serves as the Bronx detention facility for intake processing.
Queens Detention Complex (QDC)
The Queens Detention Complex (QDC) is not a working jail and does not house inmates. QDC includes court facilities, where inmates are held for court appearances and for the inmate intake process. Portions are also used as a space for television/movie production filming.
The Department maintains secure facilities in two City hospitals:
Elmhurst Hospital Prison Ward (EHPW), Queens - for female inmates requiring acute psychiatric care.
Bellevue Hospital Prison Ward, (BHPD), Manhattan - for male inmates requiring psychiatric or medical treatment.