Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Requests
Pursuant to 43 RCNY, Section 1-08
If you are requesting records that have been sealed, please submit a completed Designation of Agency for Access to Sealed Records Pursuant to NYCPL 160.50[d].
Procedures for Requesting or Inspecting Records
- All FOIL requests must be made in writing and should include sufficient identifying information, such as the nature, content, and date of the record. It must reasonably describe the record in compliance with the New York State Freedom of Information Law. No particular form or format is required.
- If you are requesting records that have been sealed, please submit a completed Designation of Agency for Access to Sealed Records Pursuant to NYCPL 160.50[d].
- If you are requesting records on behalf of another person, please provide a notarized nonmedical release signed by that person authorizing you to receive the records on their behalf. Please be advised that the Department of Correction cannot accept a HIPAA or other medical records release form.
- The Department of Correction does not maintain or possess inmate medical records. If you are seeking medical records, please contact:
CHS Medical Records Unit
NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation
Correctional Health Services, Medical Records
55 Water Street, 18th Floor
New York, New York 10041
- Records to be disclosed under the New York State Freedom of Information Law can be made available for public inspection and copying upon appointment on weekdays, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- All requests for non-medical records or their inspection should be sent either by:
Records Access Officer
New York City Department of Correction
75-20 Astoria Blvd
East Elmhurst, New York 11370
Procedure for Appeals
If you are denied access to a record in response to a FOIL request, you may appeal.