Americans with Disabilities Act — Notice of Rights

The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene does not allow discrimination on the basis of disability in the operation of its programs, services or activities. Programs operated or otherwise funded by the Health Department are required to make reasonable accommodations necessary to enable people with disabilities to participate in programs, services and activities.

If you or someone you know needs a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in a program or receive Health Department services (other than for employment), contact the Health Department's disabilities accommodation coordinator, Jorge Martinez by:

Grievance Procedure

If you are denied a request for a non-employment, disability-related accommodation, you may file a grievance. Accommodation requests that must be fulfilled include auxiliary aids or services for effective communication, and large print or Braille documents. You may also file a grievance if you:

  • Are denied a request for a non-employment-related reasonable modification of policies and procedures that will allow you to participate in our programs, services and activities.
  • Have a complaint about our policies and procedures concerning access to a particular program or activity.

If you wish to file a grievance for any of the above reasons, you or your designee must do so within 60 calendar days of the alleged violation. To file a grievance, contact our ADA Coordinator, Jorge Martinez by:

The grievance must include your name, address and phone number, as well as a description of the problem and where and when it occurred. People with disabilities can use alternate means for filing a complaint, such as a personal interview or tape recording, upon request.

Within 15 calendar days after we receive a complaint, the Health Department will contact you to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days of that discussion, the Health Department will respond in writing and, when appropriate, in a format accessible to the grievant, such as large print, Braille, or audio tape. The response will explain our position and offer options for resolution.

Website Assistance

If you are unable to read or access any part of this website, or any other site operated by the Health Department, due to a disability, complete an online complaint form (Message Topic: "Website Accessibility Issue").