Five different colored speech bubbles that each say 'hello' in a foreign language.

NYC Health Department Services

Welcome to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. We work hard to protect and promote the health of New Yorkers from all backgrounds. We provide services at low- to no-cost and in multiple languages, regardless of your financial or immigration status.

Please see below for a summary of Health Department services. Call 311 for additional information in your language, including office and clinic hours.

If you have any questions or concerns about our interpretation services or translations, email the Health Department’s Language Access Manager, Luis Valle, at

Language Services

You have the right to services in your language. We are committed to providing services in many languages, including written translations and in-person or telephonic interpretation.

Index card text reads: I speak English. Please call an interpreter. Thank you.

Print or download the “I speak” card (PDF).

When visiting the Health Department or another City agency, show the card to a staff member. He or she will call an interpreter for you. Language services are free at all New York City offices and clinics.

How to navigate our website with Google Translate

Most of the content on this website is in English. This page lists the main Health Department services, and you can call 311 or visit one of our locations for additional information in your language.

To navigate the website using the Google Translate function:

  1. From any page, click on Translate on the top right-hand corner to see a list of available languages.
  2. Click on your language to select it. The text of the webpage will change, but some graphics and images will not.

Please note that the Google Translate function is an automated computer translation and is only an approximation of the website’s original content. The Health Department does not guarantee the accuracy of the translations through Google Translate.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please call 311.

Health Programs and Services

Birth and Death Certificates and Immunization Records

The Health Department issues and makes changes to birth certificates and death certificates. The Health Department’s Citywide Immunization Registry also issues immunization records. Call 311 to learn more.

For information on how to order a birth certificate, click here.

For information on how to order a death certificate, click here.

To request a birth certificate correction, click here.

Low- to No-Cost Confidential Clinics

The Health Department clinics offer low- to no-cost immunization and sexual health services and no-cost Tuberculosis (TB) services. Call 311 for information about hours and services.

Immunization Clinic
Fort Greene 295 Flatbush Ave. Ext., Brooklyn, 11201
Sexual Health Clinics
Central Harlem 2238 5th Ave., Manhattan, NY 10037
Manhattanville Renaissance 21 Old Broadway, Manhattan, NY 10027
Riverside 160 W 100th St., Manhattan, NY 10025
Morrisania 1309 Fulton Ave., Bronx, NY 10456
Crown Heights 1218 Prospect Pl., Brooklyn, NY 12213
Fort Greene 295 Flatbush Ave. Ext., Brooklyn, NY 11201
Corona 34-33 Junction Blvd., Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Jamaica 90-37 Parsons Blvd., 1st Fl. Jamaica, NY 11432
Tuberculosis (TB) Clinics
Morrisania 1309 Fulton Ave., Bronx, NY 10456
Fort Greene 295 Flatbush Ave. Ext., Brooklyn, NY 11201
Washington Heights 600 W. 168th St., 3rd Fl., Manhattan, NY 10032
Corona Chest Center 34-33 Junction Blvd., 2nd Fl., Queens, NY 11372

*For TB testing and treatment services on Staten Island, visit the H+H Stapleton Family Health Center at 111 Canal St., Staten Island, 10301.

Health Insurance Enrollment Services

The Health Department’s Certified Application Counselors can help you understand your health insurance options and enroll in Medicaid, Child Health Plus, the Essential Plan or a private plan. Help is available regardless of your financial or immigration status. People who are 65 and older, and those who are living with a disability and/or are visually impaired can get free in-person assistance to enroll in Medicaid and get help to cover Medicare costs. Visit a Certified Application Counselor or call 311 for more information.

You and your family may qualify for low- or no-cost health insurance and care options regardless of your immigration status and ability to pay. Click here (PDF) to learn more.

Find a Certified Application Counselor

Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are recommended. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

LocationContact Info
Washington Heights Health Center,
600 West 168th Street, Basement,
New York, NY 10032
212-491-1661, 212-491-4453, 212-694-2399, 212-368-5717
Riverside Health Center, 160 West 100th Street, 1st Floor, New York, NY 10025 646-364-0711, *By Appointment Only
LocationContact Info
Tremont Health Center, 1826 Arthur Avenue, Basement, Bronx, NY 10457 718-466-8844
LocationContact Info
Fort Greene Health Center, 295 Flatbush Avenue Extension, 5th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201 718-643-4463, 718-643-4467, 718-643-3410
Crown Heights Health Center, 1218 Prospect Place,
1st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11213
718-953-8234, 718-953-8232, 718-953-8233
Homecrest Health Center, 1601 Avenue S, 1st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11229 718-3360-2553
(ext. 129, 144, 150)
LocationContact Info
Corona Health Center, 34-33 Junction Boulevard,
1st Floor, Jackson Heights, NY 11372
718-476-7101, 718-476-4579, 718-476-7103
Jamaica Health Center, 90-37 Parsons Boulevard,
4th Floor, Jamaica, NY 11432
718-262-5512, 718-262-5581
Staten Island
LocationContact Info
135 Canal Street, 2nd Floor, Staten Island, NY 10301 917-217-3324, *By Appointment Only

Chronic Disease Prevention

A chronic disease is a long-lasting condition, such as asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure. Chronic diseases can be controlled by working with your doctor, eating healthy, exercising and taking medications. The Health Department provides services and resources to help New Yorkers prevent or manage their illness. Call 311 to find a doctor, or for information about low- to no-cost health insurance.

Help to Quit Smoking

The Health Department works with the New York State Smokers’ Quitline to provide free services, such as medications, counseling and group support that can help you quit smoking. For more information and resources on quitting smoking, call 311.

Child Care

The Health Department licenses, regulates and inspects child care programs to protect children’s health and safety. Use the NYC Child Care Connect service (available in English) to search for permitted child care programs, including child care centers, school-based child care and summer camps. You can also compare your center to others across the city and/or sign up for free text and email messages (available in English and Spanish) to receive updates about your child care provider. Call 311 for more information.

For guidance on choosing child care in New York City, click here (PDF).

For information about vaccine requirements for parents, visit

Nurse-Family Partnership

Nurse-Family Partnership is a nurse home visiting program for women who are pregnant with their first baby. Nurse visits continue until the baby is 2 years old. The program is committed to improving the health, well-being and self-sufficiency of low-income first-time mothers and their children. Call 311 for more information and to find out if you qualify.

Newborn Home Visiting Program

The Newborn Home Visiting Program supports first-time mothers and their newborns the first few weeks after birth. A public health professional visits families at home to help with breastfeeding, provide health and safety tips and connect families to resources. For more information, call 311.

Support for Children with Developmental Delays or Disabilities

The Early Intervention Program provides support for families with children younger than 3 years old who have developmental delays or disabilities.

Some children may benefit from Developmental Monitoring, a program designed to see how children are developing and how much progress they are making.

For more information about Early Intervention or Developmental Monitoring, call 311. Services are free for families, regardless of income or immigration status.

Pet Ownership

The Health Department issues dog licenses and responds to dog bites and to cases of animals with rabies. In New York City, all puppies and kittens should get their first rabies shot between 3 and 4 months of age. The New York City Health Code also requires that all dog owners license their dogs and attach the license tag to their dog's collars while in public. Click here to apply or renew your dog license using the web application (available in English), fill out the form below, or call 311 to request to have a paper copy mailed to you.

Click here (PDF) for information on how to apply for a dog license.

Click here (PDF) to download the paper application.

Food Safety

The Health Department permits and regulates food service establishments (FSEs) and provides training and certification courses for restaurant operators, mobile food vendors and soup kitchen/summer feeding workers. The Department also inspects FSE operations and facilities at least once a year to check that they meet the food safety requirements in the New York City Health Code. For more information, call 311.

Healthy Homes

The Health Department inspects homes to reduce environmental hazards, especially related to lead poisoning and asthma. It also partners with health, housing and community-based organizations to provide training and technical assistance to reduce lead hazards and asthma triggers, such as cockroaches and mice, in the home.

Building owners are required to safely fix peeling paint and keep housing free of pests. If you are a tenant, report peeling paint or rodents to your building owner right away. If the building owner does not fix the problem, call 311 or visit

Disease Control

The Health Department monitors, controls and responds to infectious diseases and outbreaks, such as anthrax and West Nile virus. For more information, call 311.

Neighborhood Health Action Centers

The Health Department’s Neighborhood Health Action Centers are part of New York City’s plan to bring more health and community services to New Yorkers. The Action Centers will open in neighborhoods with high rates of diabetes, heart disease and other chronic diseases. They will also provide space for community-based organizations and Health Department staff to work together to reduce health disparities at the neighborhood level. For more information, call 311.

Healthy Eating and Active Living

Healthy eating and active living can help you lose weight, manage stress, have more energy and set a good example for your children. The Health Department’s nutrition programs and Health Bucks encourage all New Yorkers to eat nutritious food and stay active.

Click here (PDF) for tips on healthy eating and active living in New York City.

For more information about the Health Department’s nutrition programs, call 311.

Health Bucks

Health Bucks are $2 coupons that can be used to buy fresh fruits and vegetables at all farmers markets in NYC. All farmers markets that accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits will give one Health Buck to each customer for every $5 spent using Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). For more information, call 311.

Mental Health

The Health Department strives to promote mental health and access to treatment and care for children and adults with mental health or substance use problems. If you or someone you know needs help, reach out to your family and friends, your physician, or a mental health professional. To find a mental health professional, visit or call your health insurance plan. In an emergency, call 911.

For help finding services for alcohol or other drug problems, information about overdose prevention, or clean injection equipment and other support, call 311.

Health Bulletins

The Health Bulletin is the Health Department’s flagship publication about health topics that concern all New Yorkers.

LGBTQ Health

Cut the Salt

Healthy Aging

Depression Health Bulletin

Call 311 to request a free copy in your language or visit For a free email subscription, email and write “Sign me up to receive new Health Bulletins” (Sign me up to receive new Health Bulletins) in the subject line.