Information for Landlords and
The resources on this page can help landlords and building managers prevent bed bug infestations and safely control them when they occur.
What Landlords and Building Managers Can Do
- Provide tenants with information about bed bugs. Share the guide Preventing and Getting Rid of Bed Bugs Safely (PDF).
- Encourage everyone to report bed bugs as soon as they know or think they have a problem.
- Notify tenants, and inspect all units adjacent to, above and below apartments found to have bed bugs.
- Hire a pest management professional to treat for bed bugs. Be wary of companies that make unrealistic claims that bed bugs can be controlled with one visit.
- Help tenants if they cannot move furniture themselves or need help getting rid of clutter.
- Give advance notice of the planned use of pesticides.
- Inspect upon vacancy and if necessary treat units to ensure they have no bed bugs or other pests before renting.