Living with Diabetes
Getting your blood sugar under control is important – but not enough. It’s also important to control blood pressure and cholesterol. Diabetes is a serious disease – but you can still live a long and healthy life! Here’s what you need to know.
Things You Can Do to Stay Healthy
To lower your blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol:
Be physically active.
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity (such as a brisk walk) at least 5 days a week.
- Get off the bus or subway a stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Walk during your lunch break.
- Put on some music and dance.
- Do household chores such as vacuuming and mopping.
Eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight.
Other things you can do:
- Check your blood sugar at the times your doctor recommends.
- Keep your feet clean and dry. Wear comfortable shoes. Look at your feet every night for sores.
- Brush and floss your teeth every day.
- Limit candy, sweets, chips, and fried food.
- Quit smoking — call 311 for free help or talk with your doctor.