[ Ver esta página en español ]
Naloxone (Narcan®) is a safe medication that can save someone’s life by reversing the effects of an opioid overdose. It only works on opioids, such as heroin, prescription painkillers and fentanyl, but it is safe to use even if opioids are not present. If you are worried you or someone you know may be at risk of an opioid overdose, naloxone is available to you.
How to get a free kit:
- Contact any of these community-based programs (PDF).
- Visit a pharmacy (PDF) participating in the NYC Emergency Overdose Rescue Kit Program and ask the pharmacist for a free “Emergency Overdose Rescue Kit”.
- Attend a virtual training with DOHMH and receive a kit by mail. See upcoming training dates below.
How to purchase naloxone with insurance or out-of-pocket:
- Check the list of participating pharmacies (PDF) or use the NYC Health Map to find a pharmacy near you.
- When contacting a pharmacy, ask the pharmacist about getting naloxone/Narcan®.
- You do not need a prescription from your doctor.
- The pharmacy may need to order the medication.
- If a pharmacy is enrolled in the Naloxone Co-payment Assistance Program (N-CAP), up to $40 of your insurance copay can be covered. Ask your pharmacist about the program when requesting naloxone.
If you have are having a hard time getting naloxone, email email@example.com.
Upcoming Naloxone Trainings
Due to the health concerns in relation to COVID-19 and as a matter of care for our community, we are providing virtual naloxone trainings. Virtual training will cover steps for responding to an opioid overdose with naloxone and will outline options for accessing an Overdose Response Kit in person or by mail.
- Tuesday, June 8, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 16, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Thursday, June 24, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, July 8, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 14, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 27, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 3, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Thursday, August 19, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 25, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursday, September 2, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 14, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 29, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
The naloxone trainings listed below are virtual trainings hosted in partnership with Spaces to Thrive. Spaces to Thrive is a partnership between The New York Public Library and the Mayor's Office of ThriveNYC to spark conversation about mental health and bring free mental health programming to New Yorkers.
For questions about naloxone, email firstname.lastname@example.org.