Protecting Children from Dog Bites
Parents and caretakers should never leave a baby or child alone with any dog and teach all children when and how to play with dogs and when to leave them alone.
Teach your child these tips for preventing bites:
- Approach an unknown dog or a dog that is alone without an owner
- Try to play with a dog if it is eating, sleeping or caring for its puppies. Dogs naturally guard their babies, toys and food
- Reach over or through a fence to pet a dog
- Poke, hit, pull, pinch or tease a dog. The dog may not realize you’re just playing.
- Chase or run and scream from a dog
- Ask the owner’s permission before petting the dog
- Let the dog smell your hand before petting
- Immediately tell an adult when bitten by an animal
See the video In the Company of Dogs
Last Updated: August 20, 2012