Support During Gender Transition
Trans people coming out can get a lot of attention – positive and negative.
New York Trans Guide – an up-to-date resource guide
Gender transition takes time. Transition at your own pace with the help of a trans-friendly health care provider and a support group.
Hormones and silicone
- If you take hormones, be patient. Taking extra hormones can damage your liver and won’t speed up your transition.
- Avoid injecting silicone.Silicone can quickly shape your body, but can also cause scarring or even death.
- If you do inject hormones or silicone, use a clean needle every time. You can get hepatitis C or HIV by sharing needles or liquid hormones.
- Free syringes are available through syringe service programs across New York City (PDF).
Support Groups and Counseling
For free or low-cost help with drinking or drug use, call the LGBT Center Gender Identity Project (646-556-9300).
Share your experiences at one of the many trans support groups in New York City. Many trans-friendly medical clinics and the agencies listed below host trans support groups. The agencies below also offer peer counseling, mental health counseling or help with alcohol or drug use.
AIDS Center of Queens County
- Queens: (718-896-2500) 62-07 Woodside Blvd., Woodside, NY 11377
- Services: TransLatina support group, clean syringes, HIV testing, hepatitis C testing
Harlem United HOME Program
- Manhattan: (646-216-3266) 289 Saint Nicholas Ave., Lower Level, New York, NY 10027
- Services: HIV prevention, clean syringes, counseling, recreation and support groups, job readiness for trans women 16 to 29
LGBT Community Center – Gender Identity Project
- Manhattan: (646-556-9300) 208 West 13th St., New York, NY 10011
- Services: Support groups (English and Spanish), mental health, substance use recovery
Queens Pride House
- Queens: (718-429-5309) 76-11 37th Ave., #206, Jackson Heights, NY 11372
- Services: Support groups, peer counseling
Rainbow Heights Club
- Brooklyn: (718-852-2584) 25 Flatbush Ave., 4th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217
- Services: LGB and trans-affirming support for people living with mental illness
Staten Island LGBT Center
- Staten Island: (718-808-1360) 25 Victory Blvd., 3rd floor, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Services: Support groups, HIV testing, mental health counseling
Washington Heights Corner Project
- Manhattan: (212-923-7600) 566 West 181st St., 2nd floor, New York, NY 10033
- Services: Uptown Trans Social group, clean syringes, safer hormone injecting education, HIV testing, hepatitis C testing
Support for Survivors of Violence
Partner abuse takes many forms—it can be physical, sexual or emotional, and can involve threats and violence. Get help if you’re in an abusive relationship.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
For support, call the LGBT Anti-Violence Project Hotline (212-714-1141) or the New York City Domestic Violence 24-Hour Hotline (800-621-4673).
Audre Lorde Project
- Brooklyn: (718-596-0342) 85 South Oxford St., Brooklyn, NY 11217
- Manhattan: (212-463-0342) 147 West 24th St., 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10011
- Services: Safety and wellness planning for LGBT people of color, anti-violence organizing through Safe OUTSide the System and TransJustice programs
Support for Legal and Discrimination Issues or for Changing Identity Documents
If you were born in New York City, surgery and a name change are no longer required to change the gender marker on your birth certificate (as of Jan. 2015). Call 311, or learn more.
In New York City, discrimination based on a person’s gender identity is against the law. To file a complaint, call 311 or the New York City Commission on Human Rights (212-306-7450).
The following organizations provide legal support to transgender New Yorkers.
- Services: Help with immigration issues
- Services: Advocacy around healthcare access, HIV and workplace discrimination, school bullying
Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- Services: Health care advocacy, help with name change
Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Services: Health care, housing and employment discrimination, help with name change