Tests and Services Manual: Biothreat Response
The division of Bio-Threat Response is a new workforce within the NYC DOHMH Public Health Laboratory.
The laboratory's routine hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., however, the laboratory is available for processing high priority specimens 24 hours a day- 7 days a week. (Refer to Emergency Laboratory Tests). For information about Biothreat Response training, or if you have questions about proper Rule-out protocols, please contact the PHL Outreach Program at Lbtrng@health.nyc.gov.
The division has a dual focus:
- Accurate and rapid identification of agents from environmental and clinical sources that can be used as weapons of mass destruction utilizing the following technologies:
- Nucleic acid amplification and detection
- Direct fluorescent antibody detection (DFA)
- Culture (bacterial)
- Time Resolved Fluorescence (TRF)
- Enzyme Immunoassays (EIA)
- Training via workshops, seminars, and in-services provided to:
- NYC LRN Sentinel Laboratories on recognition and awareness of select agents, referral of suspicious isolates to PHL and proper packaging and shipping of biological agents
- NYC First Responders on safe and appropriate specimen collection and transport from the event site to the NYC DOHMH PHL.