Post-Storm Resources

Post-Storm Resources

The City of New York has developed a list of resources for those who were affected by this historic storm.

Please continue to check back for updates.

New Yorkers Can Now Get Disaster Assistance & Report Damage to FEMA

President Biden has approved an expedited Major Disaster Declaration that will help provide federal financial relief for New Yorkers recovering from the flooding damage caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. The counties covered by the declaration include: Bronx, Queens, Kings (Brooklyn), and Richmond (Staten Island).

Apply for disaster assistance and report damage to your property:

If you use a relay service (a videophone, InnoCaption, CapTel, etc.), please provide your number assigned to that service. FEMA must be able to contact you. Be aware that phone calls from FEMA may appear to come from an unidentified number.

Note: If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company immediately. FEMA assistance cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance.

Visit the FEMA - Remnants of Hurricane Ida Disaster Declaration page for frequently asked questions and additional information regarding this federal disaster declaration and available assistance.

Eligible applicants may also apply for clean and sanitize assistance.

Disaster Legal Services

Disaster Legal Services (DLS) provides free legal help to low-income disaster survivors (including homeowners and renters). If you're not able to get adequate legal services for your disaster-related needs, DLS may be able to help.

FEMA provides this service through an agreement with the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association (ABA). DLS may only provide advice and assist with cases that will not generate a fee. For cases that may generate a fee, the ABA may refer you to a local lawyer referral service.

DLS may help with:

  • Insurance claims for medical bills, loss of property, and loss of life
  • New wills, powers of attorney, and other legal papers lost during the disaster
  • Home repair contracts and contractors
  • Problems with landlords
  • Proof of home ownership
  • FEMA appeals

DLS attorneys are not FEMA employees. The services they provide are confidential and they do not share information with FEMA. Learn more


Back to the top

Sign Up for Notify NYC

New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for Notify NYC, the City's free emergency notification system. Through Notify NYC, New Yorkers can receive phone calls, text messages, and/or emails alerts about traffic and transit disruptions and other emergencies. Sign up to receive free emergency alerts and updates in your preferred language, register by visiting, calling 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115), following @NotifyNYC on Twitter, or getting the free Notify NYC mobile application for your Apple or Android device.

Back to the top

Service Centers Open Citywide

The City has collocated service centers with FEMA's disaster recovery centers to provide resources to New Yorkers affected by this emergency.

The following locations will be open daily from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.:

  • Bronx
    Hostos Community College: East Academic Complex
    500 Grand Concourse
    Bronx, NY 10451

  • Brooklyn
    Medgar Evers College: Classroom P23
    231 Crown Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11225

  • Queens
    Queens College: Student Union
    152-45 Melbourne Avenue
    Flushing, NY 11367

  • Staten Island
    College of Staten Island: Gymnasium Building R1
    2800 Victory Boulevard
    Staten Island, NY 10314

The Manhattan service center location is now closed. Impacted Manhattan residents can call 311 or visit a center in a different borough to access City services.

Businesses can also call the Small Business Hotline at 888-SBS-4-NYC (888-727-4692).

Back to the top

Transportation to Service Centers

People who have no other transportation options to visit one of New York City's service centers, especially those disabilities or other access or functional needs, may request transportation assistance by contacting 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115).


The City is not accepting in-kind donations at this time. Do not drop off any donations to the service center locations or any affected areas.

Before donating any goods, including food or clothing, wait for instructions from local officials or check with a specific organization. Unneeded items overwhelm the recovery effort and may go to waste.

Referral Guides

Resource Guides

Back to the top

Financial Assistance & Resources for Homeowners & Renters

NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development

The NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development has put together a list of resources for homeowners affected by this storm. View the PDF

Comptroller's Office

New Yorkers can file a water damage or loss claim form for damages from Hurricane Ida.

New York State Department of Financial Services

The New York State Department of Financial Services can provide residents and business owners impacted by the storm with insurance information regarding policy coverage for losses and suggestions on how to document their losses and safeguard their property.

New Yorkers can call the New York State Department of Financial Services' (NYS DFS) Disaster Hotline at 800-339-1759, daily, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and by accessing the website at

Insurance Information

  • If you rent your home, renter's insurance will insure the items inside your apartment. If you are a homeowner, make sure your home is properly insured. Note: Protection against property loss due to flooding is typically not covered under renters and homeowner's insurance policies. For more information, visit
  • If you have a flood insurance policy (either as a homeowner or renter) and experienced flood damage from Ida, you should submit your loss to your insurance agent as soon as possible and begin documenting the damage. You'll need to provide proof of loss to your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. For more details on the claims process, follow these steps from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
  • Anyone in New York City is eligible for flood insurance.
  • Flood insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding. In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties.
  • Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
  • If you do not have flood insurance, consider buying it to be protected from the next flood.

ERAP: Emergency Rental Assistance Program

  • The New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) will provide significant economic relief to help low and moderate-income households at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability by providing rental arrears, temporary rental assistance and utility arrears assistance. Visit the Emergency Rental Assistance webpage to apply.

Excluded Workers Fund

  • Applicants can apply online 24/7, and the New York State Department of Labor's 600-person multilingual call center is available seven days a week, from 7 7 p.m. The EWF application process utilizes state-of-the-art technology, including an EWF virtual assistant that can provide applicants with their application's status throughout the process. Applicants can also speak with a live representative or receive a callback in 24 to 48 hours. The application and an FAQ document are available in 13 different languages on the Department of Labor's EWF page.

New York State Department of Financial Services: Financial Assistance & Resources for Homeowners & Renters

The New York State Department of Financial Services can provide residents and business owners impacted by the storm with insurance information regarding policy coverage for losses and suggestions on how to document their losses and safeguard their property.

  • Disaster & Flood Resource Center: contains comprehensive info about DFS resources and links to other disaster recovery resources
    • Lists locations where consumers impacted by Tropical Depression Ida can get in-person assistance with insurance-related questions
    • Provides general information about coverage for flood damage and the role of insurers, adjusters, appraisers and umpires in the event of a disaster
    • Offers tips on how to prepare for a disaster, file a claim after a loss, protect your credit, and avoid storm recovery scams
  • Storm Recovery Resources: printable brochure that includes much of the information contained on the DFS Disaster & Flood Resource Center web page
  • Disaster Hotline: (800) 339-1759, daily, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for help with banking, insurance and claim issues
  • How to Apply for FEMA Assistance: contains information about how to apply for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

  • Disaster Assistance: "Help After a Disaster" Brochures: available in 27 languages, contains information about disaster assistance provided by FEMA, which consumers can apply for whether they have insurance or not.
  • National Flood Insurance Program
    • How to Start Filing Your Claim: provides NFIP policyholders with information about how to start filing claims under their flood insurance policies
    • How to Document Damage: offers tips on how consumers should document their flood damage and take steps to stop the spread of mold
    • NFIP Claims Handbook: contains detailed, step-by-step guidance on the things NFIP policyholders need to know about filing their flood claims

Hebrew Free Loan Society

  • The Hebrew Free Loan Society has set up three new storm damage loan programs for people who may not have access to other forms of financial assistance. These can cover expenses related to storm damage, including repairs and renovations, extensive cleanup and mold remediation, replacement of personal belongings and household essentials, and temporary relocation.

Governor's Relief and Response Resources

  • New Yorkers affected by Hurricane Ida can use the following resources to help with clean-up and restoration efforts. Visit the website for more information.

Business Assistance

New Yorkers can call for live, one-on-one assistance: 888-SBS-4NYC (888-727-4692)

In addition, the following resources are available:

Post-loss insurance tips for businesses:

  • Immediately contact your insurance company or broker/agent.
  • Carefully read your insurance policy to understand what losses are covered.
  • Take photographs or a video of the damaged areas and assets to help with your claim.
  • Don't remove any damaged property until the insurance adjuster has assessed the damage and made an official report.
  • Make only those repairs necessary to prevent any further damage; if you make permanent repairs unauthorized by the insurance company, they may not be covered.
  • Keep all receipts for repairs and temporary business expenses.
  • To help establish the value of your claim, prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed property (item, quantity, date of purchase, cost at purchase, age, and estimated replacement cost), along with your pre-loss photographs.
  • Accompany the adjuster to point out damage during the inspection.
  • If the settlement offered by the insurance company seems unfair, contact the New York State Insurance Department by visiting
  • If the insurance company denies any part of your claim, get the denial in writing, and keep copies.
  • Always contact your insurance company and claims adjuster any time you find additional damage not previously reported.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)

SBA relocated its Business Recovery Center (BRC) from Medgar Evers College to the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce:

    North Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce*
    253 36th Street, Suite C58, 4th Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11232
    Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Closed Saturday and Sunday.)
    *At Industry City, Building 3, 4th floor


Food Assistance and Housing Assistance


Food delivery is available through the GetFoodNYC Emergency Home Food Delivery program for those in need because of Hurricane Ida. Please note that the food will need to be refrigerated and heated.

  • Anyone in need of food as a result of Ida can call 311 and get home delivered meals.
  • Each box will have 6 meals- 3 lunches and 3 dinners. They can request one delivery or two weeks of meals.
  • Meals will need to be heated and refrigerated, they come either fresh or frozen.
  • If individuals need refrigeration/heating appliances, the City will address those needs. Halal, Kosher, or non-specialty meals are available
  • If individuals do not need meals for 2 weeks, orders can be cancelled by calling 311.

Visit the GetFood program online

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens services include food pantry referrals and case management.

  • 718-722-6001
  • Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Salvation Army in Greater New York

Contact the Salvation Army Corps Community Center nearest you for food assistance.

City Harvest

City Harvest provides a food pantry, soup kitchens, and mobile markets.

American Red Cross in Greater New York

The American Red Cross in Greater New York offers general assistance including sheltering and immediate needs. Call 1-877-733-2767.

Human Resources Administration (HRA)/ Department of Social Services (DSS)

The Human Resources Administration (HRA) ACCESS HRA website and free mobile app allow you to get information, apply for benefit programs, and view case information online. The income-based HRA programs offer move in assistance through the One-Shot Deal program, security deposits, HomeBase housing assistance, financial counseling, landlord and family mediation and community social services. It also provides food stamps, cash assistance, and Medicaid. View application forms in PDF:

Visit The Human Resources Administration (HRA) ACCESS HRA website for emergency help with apartment expenses. After submitting an application, HRA will call you within seven (7) days. Documents may be required.

Community Assistance


IDNYC is a free government issued photo ID card for all New York City residents ages 10 and above and provides access to a wide range of services and discounts. IDNYC applicants' information is confidential. Immigration status does not matter. Renew your card online by visiting To request an updated card or to replace a lost card, make an appointment to visit an enrollment center by going to or by calling 311.

Immigrant Affairs

If you have questions about immigration or how to access City services, help in your language is available. Call the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) hotline at 212-788-7654 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or email

NYC Department for the Aging

The NYC Department for the Aging has provided a brochure with resources for older New Yorkers. View the PDF.

Pet Assistance

The Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) and ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) offer pet supplies.

  • ACC: For assistance with Lost & Found services, call 212-510-7107.
  • ASPCA:

Emotional and Spiritual Care, and Mental Health Support

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)

The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) offers 24/7, confidential and multilingual crisis support services for those struggling with emotional distress or other mental health concerns, Vibrant Emotional Health administers the national Disaster Distress Helpline for SAMHSA, available to anyone in U.S., including territories, and Vibrant Emotional Health operates NYC Well for the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, available to anyone in New York City.

  • 24 hour hotline: 888-NYC WELL (888-692-9355)
  • Text "WELL" to 65173
  • Disaster Distress Helpline (24/7 hotline): 1-800-985-5990. For Spanish, press 2.
  • MS text "TalkWithUs" to 66746. For Spanish text "Hablamos" to 66746.
  • Visit:

New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS)

New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS) provides referrals to spiritual care providers and trained disaster chaplains. 

  • Call 212-669-6100
  • Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Salvation Army Greater New York

Visit a Salvation Army Corps Community Center nearest you for emotional and spiritual care services.

Back to the top

FEMA Clean and Sanitize Assistance (CSA) for Eligible Applicants

FEMA has approved expanded clean and sanitize assistance (CSA) for those approved for federal disaster assistance due to this emergency. This includes eligible homeowners and renters.

FEMA may provide a limited amount of financial assistance to applicants with disaster-caused real property damage that did not render the home uninhabitable. Clean and sanitize assistance (CSA) is intended to ensure minimal damage to the home is addressed in order to prevent additional losses and potential health and safety concerns.

Conditions of Eligibility

Applicants must meet the following conditions in order to receive CSA:

  • The pre-disaster primary residence (whether they rent or own) is located in an area designated for FEMA disaster assistance (e.g., Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island).
  • Based on a FEMA inspection, the applicant has disaster damage recorded or, for renters, noted clean-up actions are needed or have been taken.
  • The damage is not covered by the applicant's insurance.
  • FEMA determines the applicant's disaster-damaged primary residence is safe to occupy.

Limitations and Exclusions

  • CSA is limited to $300 per eligible household.
  • CSA will be awarded as a one-time payment.

There are no actions needed on the applicants part as those who meet the above eligibility criteria will be automatically enrolled. Applicants with questions can contact the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 or TTY: 1-800-462-7585 from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. ET, 7 days a week.

Cleaning After a Flood

Keep children, pets and people with compromised immune systems away until the area has been cleaned and disinfected.

Use protective eyewear and waterproof gloves and boots when cleaning or coming in contact with sewage.

Remove standing shallow water. Make sure to dry all objects and surfaces thoroughly to avoid mold growth.

Deep water and extensive flood damage may require professional cleanup and restoration.

  • Throw away any food (including packaged food) that may have been touched by sewage water.

Use soap and water to clean surfaces contaminated with sewage.

To disinfect, wipe surfaces with a bleach solution (half cup bleach in one gallon of water). Non-bleach sanitizers can also be used.

WARNING: Never mix bleach with ammonia or detergents containing ammonia products since dangerous gases may be created. Bleach can damage some materials, so use with caution.

Wash clothes, bedding and other fabrics contaminated with sewage with detergent and water. Dry them thoroughly. Dry clean items that cannot be washed.

If fuel is found floating on top of water in a flooded basement, please refer to NYS Department of Environmental Conservation - Guidance on Oil Cleanup for information on cleanup and reporting oil spills. The oil should be removed before the water is pumped out. If the oil is not removed first, the floors and walls will be coated with oil as the water is removed.

After you finish cleaning, disinfect your boots and gloves with a solution of one half cup household bleach in one gallon of water. Rinse with clear water and allow the boots and gloves to air dry.

If you have any personal belongings, furniture, or carpets that are waterlogged that you cannot remove yourself, please submit a report through the Damage Assessment Tool.

Structural Issues

  • When surveying flood damage in a building look out for mold, any newly formed cracks along the wall, and signs of foundation damage including bulging walls.
  • Heavy flooding can have a significant effect on the structural stability of outdoor structures such as decks, porches and retaining walls. Take extra precaution near these outdoor structures, due to the potential for collapse.
  • Flooding can also cause the soil around buildings to shift. Be cautious of sink holes forming on your property, especially near septic systems. Avoid areas around large trees if the surrounding soil is soft.
  • If your basement or cellar is flooded, use caution when pumping out the water. Pumping out flood water from a building too quickly could cause serious structural damage. The water must be drained slowly to equalize pressure on both sides of building walls.


  • Extensive repair work in a building may require the services of a registered contractor as well as NYC Department of Buildings-issued work permits. Electrical Wiring repairs will require the services of a licensed electrician. Gas plumbing system repairs will require the services of a licensed plumber. Check the license status of these construction professionals here.
  • Licensed Master Plumbers performing emergency work to address a hazardous situation, restore essential services, and maintain sanitary conditions, have the ability to file an Emergency Work Notifications with the Department online, allowing them to start repairs immediately with no wait time from the NYC Department of Buildings. The plumber can then submit the paperwork for any required permits with the Department after the job is already completed.
  • Before starting any major repairs at your building, contact a construction professional or the Department of Buildings.

More Resources on Flooding

Back to the top

Prevent Mold Growth

Back to the top

Rumor Control

Rumors that the City's Department of Buildings (DOB) is going door-to-door in neighborhoods unannounced, asking for access into homes to conduct illegal conversion inspections, are false.

In the interest of protecting our fellow New Yorkers, we are conducting safety inspections of properties to check for structural damage and other immediately hazardous conditions. The Department of Buildings is triaging these storm damage notifications as they come in, and our teams of inspectors responding to these specific locations are looking to ensure these structures are safe to occupy.

If the DOB finds storm-related damage during these inspections, staff are notifying the property owner of the conditions, and providing guidance on how to go about making repairs. Vacate Orders are only issued as a last resort, when occupancy of a building poses an immediate life safety threat. To date, our inspection teams conducting these self-reported storm damage safety inspections have not issued any Vacate Orders for illegal conversion conditions.

Back to the top

Beware of Fraud & Price Gouging

After a disaster, scam artists, identity thieves and other criminals often attempt to take advantage of disaster survivors. Emergency management officials urge residents to watch for and report any suspicious activity. Learn more from FEMA

If you have knowledge of fraud, waste, or abuse, you can report these tips (24 hours a day, seven days a week) to the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 1-866-720-5721 or email

The NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) warns of price gouging related to Hurricane Ida home repairs:

To file a complaint, call 311 and say "overcharge" or file online at

Back to the top

More Resources

Back to the top