Relief & Recovery Resources

Woman receives water and meal for recovery.

Following a disaster, resources will be offered to aid New Yorkers, businesses and community organizations, and government agencies, with recovery.

For additional information about housing recovery, business resiliency, resiliency and infrastructure, and disaster recovery funding, visit the NYC Recovery website.

Coping with Disasters

The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's website provides tips and resources on how to cope after emergencies.

NYC Well

For mental health information, a referral, or if you need to talk to someone, call NYC Well, New York City's confidential, 24-hour Mental Health Hotline.

  • English: 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355), Press 2
  • Relay Service for Deaf/Hard of Hearing: Call 711
  • Español: 1-888-692-9355, Press 3
  • 中文: 1-888-692-9355, Press 4

Interpreters are available for 200+ languages. Stay on the line, and you will be connected with a counselor who can connect you to translator services.

Finding Loved Ones after Disasters

There are resources available to help you locate family and friends that have been affected by a disaster.

  • The City provides information about the status of a missing person. The City also accepts additional information about a missing person already reported. Call 911 to report a missing or kidnapped person. Learn more from 311
  • Get information about the Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Emergency Family Registry and Locator System. Learn more
  • Learn more about the American Red Cross' Safe and Well, a web-based system that helps reunite friends and family displaced by a disaster, and access additional resources from the organization.
  • Contact the American Red Cross through its International Reconnecting Families inquiry form.
  • Use the Google Person Finder.
  • Use the Facebook Safety Check.
  • National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: anyone who finds a child who may be separated from parents or caregivers, please contact the local police and enter basic information and/or a photo into the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's Unaccompanied Minors Registry. If you find an unaccompanied child, please indicate whether the child has a disability or has access and functional needs in the appropriate field in the Unaccompanied Minors Registry. If you do not have access to the Internet, please call 1-866-908-9570. 
  • Visit Humanity Road online, a charity organization that specializes in sourcing critical information and resources when disaster strikes.

Hazard Mitigation Assistance

Hazard mitigation assistance provides funding to state and local governments for long-term planning solutions that reduce the impact of hazards on property and human life. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers several hazard mitigation assistance programs that are available for jurisdictions after a presidentially-declared disaster.

Get Involved

Flood Insurance & Resources

Contact the National Flood Insurance Program: visit, or call 1-888-379-9531.

After experiencing flooding, contact your insurance agent right away. Once your insurance agent has your claim:

  • The agent will file a Notice of Loss.
  • An adjuster will be assigned to your case.
  • Once the loss has been adjusted, a Proof of Loss will be submitted, and payment can be made.

Partial payment can be made to claimants upon submission of a partial Proof of Loss.

Protection against loss due to floods is not covered under a homeowner's policy. It is provided through the National Flood Insurance Program and administered by FEMA. Contact your property/casualty agent or broker about eligibility for flood insurance, which is offered through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss caused by floods, or an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Sewer back-ups (SBUs) are covered if SBUs occur in flooding conditions, typically defined as conditions that cause SBUs on two or more acres or pieces of property.

Report Damage Following an Emergency

The Damage Assessment Tool allows the City to immediately collect damage information from New Yorkers to assess the impact upon affected areas. Note: reporting damage will not result in a 311 service. You will not be provided a service request number.