W16 Installation, Alteration, Testing and Repair of Liquid Motor Fuel Storage Tank and Dispensing Systems
The W-16 Certificate of License is required to install, alter, test or repair of automotive and marine liquid motor fuel storage and dispensing systems. This Certificate of License is valid only for the specific person to whom it is issued and can be used anywhere within New York City.
- New Application Fees: $145
- Renewal Fees: $30
- Application Reviewed Within: 1-2 weeks
- Renewal Cycle: 2 years. The Certificate of License is valid as long as the company presents valid insurance and the principal holds a valid W16 COL.
Before You Submit Your Application
You must obtain pre-approval before taking the computer based exam. Applicants may not take the computer based test until obtaining the approval.
Applicants must submit the required application documents by mail or in person to: New York City Fire Department, Attention: C of F Unit, Bureau of Fire Prevention, 9 MetroTech Center - 1st Floor, Brooklyn, New York, 11201-3857, Attn: COL Review. If there are any questions, please contact (718) 999-1988. Applicants will be notified whether they qualify or if additional documents are required.
The required documents for pre-approval:
- Valid high school diploma or GED.
- Completed and signed W-16 application form
- Any documentation that can verify the certification or experience indicated in the W-16 application form above. The W-2 forms (wage and tax statement) and a resume and a letter of recommendation may be a supporting document for work experience.
- Recommendation letter(s) signed by the previous/current employer(s) who possesses a W-16 Certificate of License. All the recommendation letters must include:
- Length of time employed
- Job duties in the previous/current company
- W-16 Certificate of License name and license number
(Find the valid W-16 C of L holder list)
- A copy of ACORD summary of an insurance policy not less than $500,000. The FDNY must be co-named on the insurance policy. The issuance policy must be issued by an approved insurance company that is licensed to do business in New York State and has an A. M. Best rating of A- or better
All applicants should review the Notice of Exam and Study Materials.
• Get W-16 Notice of Exam and Study Materials (PDF)
• Get W-16 Sample of Recommendation Letter (PDF)
To obtain the W-16 Certificate of License
Applicants are required to schedule an appointment to take this exam. Please use the Online Appointment Scheduler to make an appointment.
Applicants must pass the W-16 computer-based exam to get a W-16 Certificate of License.
The following documents are also needed upon taking the W-16 exam at the FDNY Headquarters:
For More Information
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-999-1993
<Back to Certificate of Fitness