W-16 Install, Alter, Test or Repair of Automotive and Marine Liquid Motor Fuel Storage
The W-16 Certificate of License is required to install, alter, test or repair of automotive and marine liquid motor fuel storage and dispensing systems.
This Certificate of License is valid only for the specific person to whom it is issued and can be used anywhere within New York City.
- New Application Fees: $145
- Renewal Fees: $30
- Application Reviewed Within: 1-2 weeks
- Renewal Cycle: The company approval will be valid as long as the company presents valid insurance and the principal holds a valid W16 COL.
Before You Submit Your Application
You must pass a written exam to get a W-16 Certificate of License.
All applicants should review the Notice of Exam and Study Materials.
• Get W-16 Notice of Exam and Study Materials (PDF)
The following documents are also needed
- A completed Certificate of Fitness Application Form (PDF)
- A letter verifying three years of full time experience in the preceding 5 years in the installation alteration, testing and the repair of motor fuel storage and dispensing equipment (signed by a Certificate of License holder).
- A completed application form W-16 (PDF)
- If required, a copy of your diploma or academic transcript.
- Liability insurance of not less than $500,000, naming the City of New York and the Fire Department as additional insured.
- Two forms of identification, at least one must be government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or a passport.
How to Apply for a Certificate of License
Applicants are required to schedule an appointment to take this exam. Please use the Online Appointment Scheduler to make an appointment.
For More Information
Email: email@example.com or call 718-999-1993
Get Approved Companies for Underground Tank Installers (PDF)
<Back to Certificate of Fitness