Liquefied Petroleum Gas Permit
A permit is required to store, handle or use LPG in quantities exceeding 400 standard cubic feet (approximately 47 lbs.). Refer to the following table for permit amounts requiring a permit:
|LPG Container Capacity||Number of Containers Requiring Permit
Examples of storage that require a permit are for LPG stored for hi-lo’s and mobile food carts, propane exchange facilities, LPG utilized at street fairs, and camping size (16.4 oz. containers) for sale at retail businesses.
A permit IS NOT required for stationary LPG installations in One and Two Family residential occupancies and/or the storage and use of LPG in the fuel tank of a motor vehicle, aircraft, marine vessel or watercraft for motive power.
|Cost of Permit
|Transportation/Mobile Food Truck
Permit Length Varies
Stationary Storage of Propane:
- NYC Department of Buildings approved plans are to be submitted to FDNY Technology Management Unit for review.
- Once the design and installation documents have been approved, you must schedule an inspection of the premises.
- Once the inspection is completed and you pass, a bill will be sent.
- When the bill is paid, a permit will be mailed to you.
Street Fairs or Other Similar Outdoor Events:
- Certificate of fitness for use of LPG at Outdoor Events and for Mobile Cooking (Type: G-23)
- If applicable, a permit issued by the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office. Click here to verify if you need to obtain one.
Mobile Food Trucks:
- Certificate of fitness for use of LPG at Outdoor Events and for Mobile Cooking
- Visual D.O.T. inspection of mobile food truck, to include verification that motor vehicle inspection stickers are up to date.
- Verify if mobile food truck is over 10,000 lbs., of which would require the vehicle to have a D.O.T. number.
- Check of required hazard signs on LPG storage cabinet.
- Minimum rated 20:B-C portable fire extinguisher.
- LPG tanks are secured and protected.
- Department of Buildings Work Permit
- Certificate of Liability
- Workers Compensation
- Certificates of fitness for storage, handling, and/or use of LPG
Get the Following Fire Code Chapters:
For assistance with applying for and receiving Permits and Letters of Approval on FDNY Business, contact the FDNY Customer Service Center by dialing 311, or via email at FDNY.BusinessSupport@FDNY.nyc.gov.
<Back To Permits