Dry Cleaning Rules and Regulations Help
Which FDNY Rules and Regulations impact my dry cleaning business?
- New York City prohibits Class I solvents to be used in the drying cleaning systems. If you’re dry cleaning business uses a Class II or Class III solvent in your dry cleaning system, you are required to have someone on premise with a Certificate of Fitness (COF) from us. This COF ensures someone associated with your business knows how to use, store, and handle the flammable and/or combustible solvents that you use. If you don’t know what type of solvents your business uses, you can find out this information from the manufacturer.
- The COF that we issue for these solvents is a C-93 Certificate of Fitness, which must be issued to an individual.
This C-93 holder can be you (as the owner of the business), an employee of yours, or an outside individual, as long as this person is authorized to represent your business and agrees to take on the requirements of the C-93 COF.
What activities must be performed by a C-93 COF holder?
- Monitor your dry cleaning equipment and facilities.
- Ensure that the equipment and facilities are operated and maintained in accordance with the Fire Code.
- Instruct or supervise all employees who use the equipment in the proper operation and maintenance of it.
- Inspect the dry cleaning facility and equipment and also test the equipment. If the C-93 holder is an employee of your dry cleaning facility, the inspection and testing must be done at least once per year. If the C-93 holder is an individual who doesn’t work for you, the inspection must be done monthly.
- Fill and empty the dry cleaning equipment.
Record the results of each inspection, test, filling, and emptying activity and maintain those records on the premises of your business for 3 years.
How do I Apply for a Certificate of Fitness for my business?
Are there other safety requirements for operating a dry cleaning business?
For More Information:
From 8 AM to 4 PM, you can call 718-999-1988 to clarify the information provided on the C-93 notice of exam. Information can also be found online at www.nyc.gov/fdny
>Back to Support