Disabled Homeowners’ Exemption (DHE)

A property tax break for disabled New Yorkers who own one-, two-, or three-family homes, condominiums, or cooperative apartments.

Thanks to changes in city and state law, the DHE and SCHE (Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption) tax breaks are now available to homeowners with a combined annual income of $58,399 or less.

How to Apply for Your DHE Benefit

Apply online or download forms from the Property Tax Benefits for Homeowners page.


Proof of disability You will need to submit documentation of your disability, such as a disability award letter from the Social Security Administration, an award letter from the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board or U.S. Postal Service, a certificate from the New York State Commission for the Blind, or a Veterans Administration letter stating that you are entitled to a veterans disability pension.
Income The total combined income of all owners and their spouses cannot exceed $58,399. The application instructions specify the sources of income used to determine your eligibility.
Ownership Requirements All of the owners must be persons with disabilities, unless the home is owned by spouses or siblings, in which case only one homeowner must have a disability.
Residency The property must be your primary residence. If you are receiving in-patient care at a residential health care facility, your property may be eligible for the exemption.
Ineligible Properties Your property cannot be within a housing development that is controlled by a Limited Profit Housing Company, Mitchell-Lama, Limited Dividend Housing Company, or redevelopment company. Please contact your property manager or managing agent for this information if you are not sure. If your property is located in a Housing Development Fund Corporation development and is in the Division of Alternative Management Program, it may be eligible.


Note: You cannot receive both DHE and SCHE (Senior Citizen Homeowners' Exemption). If you qualify for both, you will receive SCHE.

You must provide an estimate of your income on your renewal application. If you do not provide an estimated income, it will delay the processing of your application. The total combined income of all owners of the property should include every source of income earned by every owner of the property for the prior calendar year. Total combined includes, but is not limited to, W2s, 1099s, Social Security statements, and retirement benefits.

If your household has multiple sources of income and you are not sure which to include, you may want to use the income calculation worksheet. This worksheet is provided as a resource for you; you are not required to complete it.

If your income is between
DHE can reduce your home's assessed value by
$57,500 and $58,399 5%
$56,600 and $57,499 10%
$55,700 and $56,599 15%
$54,800 and $55,699 20%
$53,900 and $54,799 25%
$53,000 and $53,899 30%
$52,000 and $52,999 35%
$51,000 and $51,999 40%
$50,001 and $50,999 45%
$0 and $50,000 50%

You must renew your Disabled Homeowners’ Exemption every year in order to continue receiving it. You will receive a notice from the Department of Finance when it is time to file your renewal application.

Visit the Ways to Save page to learn about other tax breaks for which you might be eligible.

If you wish to remove a previously granted exemption, you may complete the Application to Remove Previously Granted Exemption(s).

Renewals FAQ

Need Help? Contact 311 or  Email Us.

If due to a disability you need an accommodation in order to apply for and receive a service or participate in a program offered by the Department of Finance, please contact the Disability Service Facilitator at www.nyc.gov/contactdofeeo or by calling 311.