DHE/SCHE Renewal Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The law requires that all SCHE and DHE recipients renew their exemption; every two years for SCHE and every year for DHE. The Department of Finance will mail you a renewal reminder notice and application. We will provide the application early enough to give you ample time to prepare any documents you will need to send us with your application.

Any change to a deed will require the Department of Finance to review the deed to determine if you, the senior, retained a life estate on the property. If the deed provides for a life estate for the senior homeowner, then the senior homeowner can complete the application and their income will be used to establish the continuation of the exemption.

You will need to submit a copy of the trust document in order for DOF to determine continued eligibility for the beneficiary of the trust or trustee.

If you no longer have to file Federal or State Income Tax, you will need to provide copies of all sources of income so we can accurately establish what your income was in order to determine the level of benefit you can be granted. The income includes, but not limited to 1099’s, Social Security statements, etc.

If you do not file a Schedule A, you need to send us your 1040, receipts, canceled checks for any out of pocket unreimbursed medical and prescription drug expenses. Proof of unreimbursed medical and prescription drug expenses must be submitted with your application and must be for the same year of the income that you are submitting. For example, if you are submitting total combined income for all owners and their spouses for 2017, then the unreimbursed medical and prescription drug expenses must also be for 2017.

The distribution from your IRA is not included in the calculation of your Total Combined Income. However, the earnings from your IRA is included in the calculation of income. You must submit the 1099-INT for your IRA account.