BCI is the Department of Finance (DOF) sheriff’s criminal tax and financial crimes investigation unit. It conducts a wide variety of criminal investigations concerning:
- Cigarette tax enforcement
- Real property/deed fraud
- Synthetic narcotics sales (K2, bath salts)
- Crimes against the Department of Finance
In addition, the Sheriff’s BCI also conducts criminal investigations into matters where the sheriff is specifically directed by City or State statutes to take law enforcement action.
The Sheriff’s BCI often works with City, State and Federal agencies, including:
- District Attorneys’ Offices
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
- Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives
The BCI is staffed by criminal investigators, deputy sheriffs, criminal auditors, administrative staff, and is supported by the Sheriff’s Intelligence Unit.