Appeal a Hearing Decision

If an Administrative Law Judge finds you guilty at a parking ticket hearing, you have the right to appeal the decision.
To request an appeal, you must file a Parking / Camera Violations Appeal Application within 30 days of the Administrative Law Judge's hearing decision. While waiting for your appeal decision, penalties and interest may be added. Towing and other enforcement actions may also be taken.
You can avoid this by paying the total amount due before requesting the appeal.
If an emergency prevents you from attending a scheduled appeal and you cannot notify the Department of Finance in writing, you must notify the Appeals Board by calling 212-361-5990. If you do not notify us, you will lose the appeal appointment and will not be able to reschedule.
If you have any questions, call 311 (24 hours/7 days a week). If you are outside of New York City, call (212) NEW-YORK.  For TTY service for the hearing impaired, call (212) 639-9675.

The Appeals Determination
The Appeals Board will make one of the following decisions:

  • Affirm (uphold) the original hearing decision
  • Modify the original hearing decision
  • Reverse the hearing decision
  • Return the case for a completely new hearing
  • Decide that there was no issue on which to base your appeal.

The Appeals Board determination will be mailed to you. If an appeal results in a reduction of the fine or a dismissal of the violation, the Department of Finance will automatically mail the refunded amount within 30 days to the person who requested the appeal. If you paid by credit card, the refunded amount will be credited back to your card. You have the right to file an Article 78 Proceeding to challenge the original hearing decision or Appeals Determination by visiting the Clerk of the Supreme Court for New York County at 60 Centre Street, Room 116, New York, NY 10007. For more information call 646-386-3025.