Launching this fall, in partnership with the Center for NYC Neighborhoods (CNYCN) and their partners, Restored Homes Housing Development Fund Corporation, AAFE Community Development Fund (CDF), Neighborhood Housing Services of New York City (NHSNYC), and the Parodneck Foundation, HPD's HomeFix program provides a comprehensive place-based approach to addressing homeowner repair needs and other assistance. The program provides access to affordable low- or no-interest and potentially forgivable loans for home repairs to eligible owners of one- to four-family homes in New York City. HomeFix will offer loans up to $60,000 per home, with an additional $30,000 per additional rental unit, with an anticipated maximum loan amount of $150,000 for a four-family home, with a maximum loan amount as follows:
- 1 unit: $60,000
- 2 units: $90,000
- 3 units: $120,000
- 4 units: $150,000
The loan terms may vary from low- or no-interest to fully amortizing from zero to five percent interest, with favorable loan terms for low-income and senior households.
To be eligible for the program, a homeowner must:
- Own a one- to four-family home in any of the five boroughs in New York City
- Occupy the home as their primary residence (primary residence is defined as residing in the home 270 days per year)
- Have a household income that is no more than 165% Area Median Income (AMI):
Homeowners are eligible based on their gross household income and size, outlined below. To determine if a homeowner might be eligible, locate the household size in Column 1 (how many people live in the home) in the chart below and review the corresponding income in Column 2. A household’s gross household income cannot be more than 165% Area Median Income (AMI) or the dollar amount shown below in Column 2:
How HomeFix Works
HomeFix will pair financial assistance with intensive individualized services provided by community-based-organizations (CBOs) and non-profit partners, connecting homeowners to resources to achieve long-term stability, including:
- Identifying the type of home repairs needed
- Helping owners navigate application requirements
- Providing lists of qualified contractors and other third parties
- Overseeing construction management
- Connecting homeowners with energy efficiency resources
- Providing financial counseling and assistance (to address mortgage arrears, municipal liens, and other issues)
- Providing technical assistance and counseling, such as foreclosure and deed fraud prevention, estate planning for seniors, and other individualized assistance
HomeFix will start taking applications in fall 2019. If homeowners are interested in the program, please complete the Expression of Interest form
through CNYCN. CNYCN will then contact you in September 2019 to start the application process.
You can also speak to an HPD finance specialist about how we can help. We host monthly Property Owner Clinics
at our downtown location. No reservations needed.