Maintenance Requirements: Gas

Gas Restoration

Property owners are required to act to restore gas for heat/hot water and gas for cooking immediately once any of those services are disrupted. Tenants may be entitled to rent reductions for failure of a property owner to provide these services; in particular; rent-regulated tenants may wish to contact the NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) for more information regarding their rights. Under the Housing Maintenance Code, owners are subject to daily civil penalties for failure to timely correct violations issued by HPD and may additionally be billed for any expenses incurred by HPD to restore services to a building.

Once gas service is shut off for any reason, restoration of gas always requires: 

  • a licensed plumber
  • filings with and inspections by the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB)
  • filing with and inspections by the utility company
All applications submitted must indicate whether the building is occupied and whether the building is rent-regulated, regardless of where in the building work will be performed. 

If you believe that your plumber is not working safely, you should immediately inform DOB through 311 and the utility company. 

This outline of the requirements around gas restoration and/or replacement of gas service is meant to serve as helpful guidance for you as you ensure that the work is completed quickly and safely. 

Gas Leak Notice

The owner of a tenant-occupied dwelling must: 

  • Give each tenant and prospective tenant a notice describing the procedures to be followed when a gas leak is suspected ("Gas Leak Notice") with the first lease or first lease renewal;
  • Post a Gas Leak Notice in a common area of the dwelling, readily visible.

The posted Gas Leak Notice shall conform with the following requirements:  

  1. The notice shall have letters not less than three-sixteenths of an inch in height;
  2. The lettering of the notice shall be of bold type and shall be properly spaced to provide good legibility and the background shall be of contrasting colors;
  3. The notice shall be durable and shall be substantially secured to the common area where posted;
  4. The notice shall be of metal, plastic, or decal; and
  5. Lighting shall be sufficient to make the notice easily legible. 

When the gas service provider for the dwelling is Con Edison, the owner should provide the current emergency phone number used by Con Edison on the allotted space for such number on the Gas Leak Notice.

When the gas service provider for the dwelling is National Grid, the owner should provide the current emergency phone number used by National Grid on the allotted space for such number on the Gas Leak Notice.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can an owner post this sign combined with some of the other signs required by HPD?
An owner may also choose to post a combined notice that incorporates and complies with the requirements for posting about Gas Leaks, Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Smoke Detectors. 

Can an owner post a laminated sign to meet the requirements?
If the laminated plastic surrounding the paper on which the notice(s) is printed is in good, sturdy condition and is firmly secured to the wall of a common area in a locked glass encasement, such that it is readily visible from the common area (not blocked from view by other common area notices), then it would satisfy the requirement that the notice be “"substantially secured to the common area."

Can an owner add information to the sign asking the tenant to contact the management when reporting a gas leak?
As long as the required language is fully provided prior to management company/super information, contact information may also be provided for the managing agent/super in a subsequent portion added as “4” (after the required language that ends with three actions to take). However, the language used should be clear that all of steps 1-3 listed in the notice should be taken prior to contacting the management company/super (which would be added as the fourth action to take, after the first three that are already listed have already been taken).   

How does Local Law 153 affect (or not affect) condos/co-ops/HOAs in the city?
Local Law 153 specifically requires notices be provided by owners to tenants. If there are tenants in any multiple dwelling the notice must be provided. In addition, the posting in the common area should be performed by the owner, board of managers, or co-op board (the term "owner" includes any person who is directly or indirectly in control of the building. 

What do board managers need to be in compliance with Local Law 153, and what are the potential consequences of not complying?
Notices must be provided to any tenants in the building. In addition, the notice for the common area should be posted. The purpose of the law is to inform everyone about the steps to take that will save lives.

What are the signs of a potential gas leak?
For more information visit ConEd or NationalGrid.