The Progress Report presents updates on projects from the Resilient Edgemere Community Plan that have been accomplished or advanced to date, and details important next steps to ensure that the greater vision established in The Plan moves forward with meaningful engagement from the Edgemere community.
Highlights from the Progress Report include next steps for the following projects:
- Implementing land use and zoning changes to unlock the long-term vision of the land use framework (page 20)
- Identifying a partner for a community land trust for local stewardship of housing and open space (page 13)
- Advancing development of multi-family, mixed-use, resilient and affordable housing (pages 14-15)
Key accomplishments since the release of the plan in 2017 are highlighted below. Download the Progress Report and check out the Implementation Matrix for status updates on all projects from the The Plan!
- Advanced designs for Bayswater Park and Rockaway Community Park reconstruction for improved recreational amenities, wetland restoration, and coastal flood mitigation
- Improved pedestrian access along Norton Ave at Bayswater Park through removal of a pedestrian barrier for easier access to Bravo Supermarket
- Supported homeowners and tenants through the elevation, rehabilitation, or reconstruction of 109 Edgemere homes damaged by Superstorm Sandy through New York City's Build-it-Back program
- Created 227 new affordable homes through the construction of Beach Green Dunes I and II
- Reconstructed Rockaway Beach Boardwalk, fortified for coastal protection, and expanded beach access at Beach 35th Street