These are some of the things property owners need to protect tenants:
- Self-closing doors are required in all buildings with three or more apartments.
- Smoke alarms must be provided and installed by the landlord.
- A fire escape plan must be posted on the inside of every apartment door, common area, and distributed to each dwelling, new tenants, and annually during fire prevention week.
- Clear exits unobstructed by obstacles on fire escapes, in hallways, and by entrance doors to a building including roof doors.
It is illegal to install key-locked window gates on fire escapes and double cylinder locks which can trap residents inside an apartment in the event of a fire.
- Stove knob covers must be provided for gas-powered stoves where a child under the age of six resides.