Tenants who qualify for the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) may have their rent frozen at their current level and be exempt from future rent increases. 

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for SCRIE, at the time of the rent increase:
  • You must be the head of the household;
  • Your total annual household income must be $50,000 or less; 
  • Your rent or carrying charges must be greater than one-third of the household's total monthly income; and
  • You must be at least 62 years of age.

HPD-Supervised SCRIE

You must live in a Mitchell-Lama development, or a Redevelopment Company development, an HDFC or a federally-assisted 213 co-op.

If you are a SCRIE recipient and your co-op imposes an assessment you may be eligible for an additional subsidy. See the application #2 for capital assessments at the bottom of this page.

All Other SCRIE Applicants

If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements described above, but do not live in an HPD-supervised SCRIE building, visit Freeze Your Rent or call 311.

Senior citizens who own homes, condominiums or private non-governmentally supervised co-ops may be eligible for the Senior Citizen Homeowner Exemption Program (SCHE). For questions regarding this program, please visit New York City's Department of Finance (DOF) or call 311.


People with disabilities may qualify for the Disability Rent Increase Exemption Program (DRIE). For more information, visit Freeze Your Rent or call 311.

HPD SCRIE Application and Forms