How do I apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program?
- Apply online
- Call HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 and we will send you an application and information. Fill it out and mail it back to:
PO BOX 29197
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- You can also pick an application up from and return the application to any SNAP center.
- Or you can print an application out.
How long will it take for me to get benefits?
If you are eligible, you will receive your benefits within 30 days.
What items can be purchased with SNAP Benefits?
- Food or food products meant to be eaten by people
- Seeds to grow vegetables and plants that provide food, such as basil or tomato
- Baby formula, diabetic, and diet foods
- Spices, herbs, pectin, shortening and other edible items used for cooking
- Water and ice labeled for human consumption
- Snack foods
What items cannot be purchased with SNAP Benefits?
- Prepared hot foods in grocery stores
- Any prepared food (hot or cold) sold and meant to be eaten at the store
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
- Cleaning products, paper products, toiletries, and cooking utensils
- Pet supplies
- Items for food preservation such as canning jars and lids, freezer containers, or food wrapping paper
- Medicines, vitamins, or minerals
- Items for gardening such as fertilizer and peat moss
How can I get a budget letter?
- Use ACCESS HRA or call the Family Independence Administration (FIA)’s automated line at 718-722-8009.