Energy Assistance

HEAP Cooling Assistance

HEAP Cooling Assistance operates from May 1, 2017.

Qualifications for HEAP cooling assistance include:

  • You and your household members are United States Citizens or qualified aliens, and includes an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat AND
    • Your household's gross monthly income is at or below the current income guides for your household size as posted in the table below or
    • You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits or
    • You receive Temporary Assistance or
    • You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
    • You received a Regular benefit greater than $21 in the current heating season
    • You currently do not have a working air conditioner or the air conditioner you have is five years old or older
    • You did not receive a HEAP funded air conditioner within the past ten years

For more information on HEAP, visit the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance's website.

Utility Assistance Program (UAP)

UAP assists families or individuals who are elderly, blind, disabled, mentally impaired or those residing in a neglected or hazardous environment who require financial assistance for their energy bills.


Contact the Heat Line if you are having trouble paying your utilities bill 212-331-3150.