MOIA volunteers are committed to MOIA's mission to promote the well-being of immigrant communities. We have a number of volunteer opportunities where our volunteers may serve by distributing information about MOIA services, providing interpretation or as an English language facilitator.
MOIA Community Leaders are involved in a variety of MOIA initiatives including:
- IDNYC: IDNYC is the free identification card for all New York City residents, which gives all of us the opportunity to show who we are—New Yorkers. Our volunteers have the opportunity to reach out to communities in all 5 boroughs to increase awareness of the benefits of the IDNYC program and encourage new enrollments.
- Special Event and Rapid Response Campaigns: During these uncertain times, our volunteers assist at immediate response forums or town halls or actions and are trained to share information with the community about resources and rights for all New Yorkers, regardless of immigration status. Special Event Volunteers also participate in public events organized by MOIA, such as Immigrant Heritage Week.
- We Speak NYC: Regardless of background, everyone has the right to access city services and the right to thrive in a city like ours. We Speak NYC empowers immigrant New Yorkers by helping them practice English and learn about City Services through volunteer-led conversation groups hosted by diverse partners across the City’s five boroughs.
- MOIA Volunteer Leaders: Our most experienced volunteers have the opportunity to serve as Volunteer Leaders. Leaders are trusted to represent MOIA at community events and distribute information about our services. Our Leaders often receive invitations to Mayor’s events at Gracie Mansion and our Annual Volunteer appreciation Dinner during Immigrant Heritage Week.
- Know Your Rights Forums: Leaders assist our facilitators with Know Your Rights Forums and also inform their own communities about MOIA services and rights protected by our office.
Whether you are a student, artist, teacher, engineer or lawyer, you can give back to your City and communities. We want to hear from you and how you would like to contribute. Now is the time to step up for the values that make our city great!
If you are interested in volunteering and becoming a MOIA Volunteer, please fill out the form below.
To become a We Speak NYC Facilitator, fill out the form here instead.
Please note: we only offer opportunities for volunteers 18 and older.
Other Opportunities to Get Involved.
You can also volunteer with other New York City agencies, or with a community-based organization: