Crime Victims

If you have been the victim of a crime, or are not sure, please contact the New York City Police Department. Police officers do not ask about the immigration status of crime victims, witnesses, or other people who ask for help. For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies, call 311 and ask to connect with your local precinct.

Look up contact information for each precinct.
Learn more about the City’s resources for immigrant victims of crime.

Free immigration legal help is available for immigrant New Yorkers, including victims of crime. We recommend speaking to an immigration lawyer to see if you may be eligible for certain forms of immigration relief for crime victims. Call ActionNYC for free, safe immigration legal help at (800) 354-0365.


The federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provides protections for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking. These protections are available to all individuals regardless of sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. VAWA permits immigrant survivors of domestic violence to file for an immigrant visa petition on their own, without the knowledge of their U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser.

Learn more about VAWA.

U and T Visas

Immigrant victims of certain serious crimes, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking, may be able to get special visas, specifically a U visa or a T visa. The U visa (for victims of serious crimes) and T visa (for victims of human trafficking) protect victims who help law enforcement in the detection, investigation, or prosecution of those crimes. U and T visas provide the following benefits:

  • Temporary, renewable immigration status for up to 4 years.
  • Allow you to apply for employment authorization.
  • Allow you to apply for temporary status for certain family members.
  • Allow U/T visa holders and certain family members to apply for permanent residence (a "green card").
  • In the state of New York, eligibility for cash assistance, Medicaid, and other public benefits.

Learn more about U visas
Learn more about T visas

Applying for a U visa or T visa

In order to apply for a U visa, you must get a signed certification form from a law enforcement agency, and then submit an application to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The certification form confirms the following:   

  • You were a victim of a certain kind of crime.
  • You know something about the crime.
  • You have been, are, or will be helpful to the detection, investigation, or prosecution of the crime

When applying for a T visa, you can submit, and may be asked by federal immigration authorities to submit, a signed declaration form from a law enforcement agency. The declaration form confirms the following:

  • You are a victim of trafficking.
  • You have responded to reasonable requests from law enforcement officers.

Requesting U Visa Certification and T Visa Declaration Forms from Law Enforcement Agencies in New York City

New York City district attorneys, the New York City Police Department, and other City agencies accept requests for U visa certifications and T visa declarations. Click here to find out how to request a signed certification and/or declaration from a particular agency.

Avoid Fraud

Beware of immigration service providers who take advantage of their customers. Get help only from a trusted, licensed attorney or accredited representative. For questions about this, call the New Americans Hotline at 1-800-566-7636 between 9 AM - 8 PM on Monday through Friday. For more information, please visit our page on avoiding fraud.

Additional Resources